How to create a lun using generic wbem query.

Ritesh Nailwal

Oct 1, 2010, 2:53:00 AM10/1/10
to smi-s-devel...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I am creating a single SMI-S (java client using java wbem service ) for EMC SMI-S provider (version) and netapp SMI-S agent.

I am stuck with creation of LUN, ( I could not find the exact syntax for creating a lun using wbem )

calling AddInstance method on StorageVolume is saying that operation is not suppported.

I will be highly grateful if you guys can help me for creating LUN using generic SMI-S method.

--
Regards,

Ritesh Chandra Nailwal

रीतेश चन्द्र नैलवाल

Lead - Engineering | GlobalLogic India

Phone: +91. 120. 406.4573 | Mobile: +91. 9818871522

SteveP

Oct 1, 2010, 8:51:48 PM10/1/10
to SMI-S Developers Group

1. The object CIM_StorageConfigurationService has a method

CIM_StorageConfigurationService.CreateOrModifyStoragePool()

That will create a RAID set.

2. The object CIM_StorageConfigurationService has a method

CIM_StorageConfigurationService.CreateOrModifyElementFromStoragePool()

That will create a LUN from the pool (RAID set).

3.The object CIM_StorageConfigurationService has a method

CIM_StorageConfigurationService.ExposePaths()

That is used to allow a Host to access the LUN over fibre Channel

These are the basic steps. but it is much more complicated. You
need to read the SMI-S / Block book / Block Services Chapter
to get all the details.

Steve Peters
PMC-Sierra

On Sep 30, 11:53 pm, Ritesh Nailwal <ritesh.c.nail...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am creating a single SMI-S (java client using java wbem service ) for EMC
> SMI-S provider (version) and netapp SMI-S agent.
>
> I am stuck with creation of LUN, ( I could not find the exact syntax for
> creating a lun using wbem )
>
> calling AddInstance method on StorageVolume is saying that operation is not
> suppported.
>
> I will be highly grateful if you guys can help me for creating LUN using
> generic SMI-S method.
>
> --
> *Regards, *
>
> *Ritesh Chandra Nailwal*
>
> रीतेश चन्द्र नैलवाल
>
> *Lead - Engineering | GlobalLogic India*
>
> *Phone: +91. 120. 406.4573 | Mobile: +91. 9818871522*

Ritesh Nailwal

Oct 15, 2010, 3:59:48 AM10/15/10
to smi-s-devel...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I am developing  the Generic SMI-S client for EMC and NetApp.

For EMC I have done all the operations (LUN Ctration, Meta Lun creation, Storage pool Creation.... etc)  but in case of NetApp I am able to do the only LUN cration and aggregate creation.

I want to be helped in the NetApp specific operations (retrieval and creation) i.e. Share, IGroup, DataSet etc....

can U guys help me about this. (Some NetApp CIM api documentation will certainly help but I could not find such document.)

I will be highly gratefule to you.

Regards,

Ritesh Chandra Nailwal

रीतेश चन्द्र नैलवाल

Lead - Engineering | GlobalLogic India

Ritesh Nailwal

Peter Lamanna

May 23, 2013, 1:57:22 AM5/23/13
to smi-s-devel...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Yes, you can access ECOM and its SMI-S Providers and any other vendor providers.  You should start by reading

An Introduction to Storage Management in Windows Server 2012

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/san/archive/2012/06/26/an-introduction-to-storage-management-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

One of the diagrams in this posting illustrates what Steve describes below.

The Storage Management API (SMAPI) has two interfaces; one a WMI set of classes and the other a PowerShell Cmdlet set.  The WMI form is documented here

Windows Storage Management API

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh830613(v=vs.85).aspx

The PowerShell Cmdlets you can reference from

Storage Cmdlets in Windows PowerShell

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848705.aspx

To fully use these interfaces the underlying SMI-S provider must support the Windows 2012 storage management requirements.  If not or if there is some capability that you need which is not supported, you can bi-pass these two interfaces and go directly to the target provider by using the Pass-thru API for Extensibility.  This is essentially a basic WBEM Client that implemented as a WMI provider.  You can therefore access it through WMI or PowerShell.  I did some searches but could not find any official documentation posted for it only references to the interface.

I hope this helps.

Peter

Apr 16, 2015, 2:47:22 PM4/16/15
to smi-s-devel...@googlegroups.com, ritesh.c...@gmail.com
Hi All,

I am trying to create LUN using EMC SMI-S provider. I had some confusions with EMC Developer's guide so I just started searching for difference between LUN and Volume for  EMC Provider ( and there after NETAPP/ Hitachi). It is becoming confusing to find difference between them. It will be a great help if I can get some document/link that can be followed to develop API for SMI-S client side requests for EMC+Netapp

I am looking to create, delete and modify LUN and Volume for both the vendor starting with EMC. For now I am using "EMC® SMI-S ProviderEMC®  SMI-S Provider  Programmer's guide".

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Ankur