Block Server Performance profile not registered in IBM XIV version 10.2.2

Bo Xi

May 20, 2014, 8:46:43 AM5/20/14
to smi-s-devel...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I was trying to get the performance stats from an IBM XIV device, but it turned out that the Block Server Performance profile is not registered. The XIV device's version is 10.2.2. The SMI-S version returned from the provider is 1.2.0. Is this because the version of the XIV device is too old?

I also have a question regarding the version of Array Profile. When acquiring a device, it returns several Array Profiles with different verions, e.g., 1.3.0, 1.4.0, 1.5.0. Which one should I use to acquire the CIM_ComputerSystem and other related information? What's the best practice here?

Many thanks,
Bo

Jim Davis

May 20, 2014, 2:53:10 PM5/20/14
to smi-s-devel...@googlegroups.com
see comments in line…

Jim Davis
CTO
910-528-5511

On May 20, 2014, at 8:46 AM, Bo Xi <boxi....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I was trying to get the performance stats from an IBM XIV device, but it turned out that the Block Server Performance profile is not registered. The XIV device's version is 10.2.2. The SMI-S version returned from the provider is 1.2.0. Is this because the version of the XIV device is too old?

Block Server Performance is not a mandatory profile,so it may not have been implemented for this specific version/implementation. Block Server Performance was a valid profile in 1.2.
FYI: The IBM XIV CIM Agent v11.4 has been tested with SMI 1.4: http://www.snia.org/ctp/conformingproviders/ibm.html#sftw3

I also have a question regarding the version of Array Profile. When acquiring a device, it returns several Array Profiles with different verions, e.g., 1.3.0, 1.4.0, 1.5.0. Which one should I use to acquire the CIM_ComputerSystem and other related information? What's the best practice here?

This means they support all three versions - all of them should point to the same CIM_ComputerSystem instance(s). Your client should support a specific version (and all newer versions). For example, if your client supports version 1.3.0, when you look for the CIM_RegisteredProfile instance for array, you can manage any that return 1.3.0 or newer that do not start with 2.x.x. In other words SMI is backward compatible within the same major version and you can support anything newer within that major version from the minimum version you support.

Many thanks,
Bo