Deprecating registerObject()

Rodney Rehm

Feb 13, 2012, 3:37:26 PM2/13/12
to smarty-d...@googlegroups.com
Uwe and I have been discussion the relevance of registerObject(). In light of developing Smarty 3.2 we've been discussing if this feature (we just can't see useful) might be deprecated.

This is a call to tell us if (and why) you're using registered objects (or know of anyone / anything doing so). In case of a meager response we are willing to move registerObject() to SmartyBC (to accompany {php} et al).

(corresponding post in the forum)

Regards,
Rod

Rodney Rehm

Feb 16, 2012, 2:57:46 AM2/16/12
to smarty-d...@googlegroups.com
Is nobody using the registerObject() feature? really?

aurelien gerits

Feb 16, 2012, 3:31:59 AM2/16/12
to smarty-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello, what will the effect of putting registerObject depreciated?
Does this will affect the rest of the engine?
Best regards

2012/2/16 Rodney Rehm <rodne...@medialize.de>
Is nobody using the registerObject() feature? really?

Rodney Rehm

Feb 16, 2012, 3:43:21 AM2/16/12
to smarty-d...@googlegroups.com
If we move to deprecate registerObject(), it will only be available through SmartyBC (the backward compatibility layer). That allows us to remove code from the core and allows us to stop maintaining that feature, as it will eventually be dropped completely.

This will affect only calls to registerObject() and their template counter-part syntax {$object->method some="argument" more="parameters"}. all registerObject ever did was allow an object method being invoked like a smarty plugin. This, of course, meant the object's methods had to have the same signature the smarty plugins require.

We've never used this feature ourselves and have never encountered any real use of it in the wild. This is why we're asking if we can move to deprecate it. No need to maintain functionality that nobody uses. Especially if it can be done in another (better) way.

Emmanuel Simond

Feb 16, 2012, 4:43:18 AM2/16/12
to smarty-d...@googlegroups.com
Please, KISS !

& Thanks for your Smarty Templates Engine, please keep it simple and FAST please

Have a Great Day
Emmanuel

Jeff MacDonald

Feb 16, 2012, 8:55:57 AM2/16/12
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 03:43:21 AM Rodney Rehm wrote:
> If we move to deprecate registerObject(), it will only be available through
> SmartyBC (the backward compatibility layer). That allows us to remove code
> from the core and allows us to stop maintaining that feature, as it will
> eventually be dropped completely.

+1 to deprecate and then remove completely in the near future.

Regards,

Karel S.

Feb 20, 2012, 7:14:14 AM2/20/12
to Smarty Developers
Never used this method, +1 to deprecate.