Timeouts when rendering many thumbnails.

Mark Reynolds

Jan 16, 2015, 1:04:54 AM1/16/15
to smart-lencioni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

Thanks very much for SLIR.  I'm hoping to migrate off phpThumb and use SLIR in a WordPress plugin I wrote.

It dynamically creates a page of thumbnails, which means I sometimes send a lot (10, 20, more) requests to the server to render, simultaneously.  I *think* this is causing many of the requests to time out and render the broken link image.  I'm on a shared host and assume they constrain the resources I'm allowed to consume, especially at one time.

Is there any way to increase the amount of time SLIR waits to generate an image before giving up?  I'm fine with the page taking a long time to load, since I'm giving it a lot of work to do.

I've tried:
  1. Increasing and decreasing the maxMemoryToAllocate
  2. Using the web link syntax and the relative link format
  3. Changing defaultQuality and size of thumbs.
Nothing is being sent to slir-error-log during these loads.
Once I've reloaded a the page enough times for the cache to populate, the problem doesn't occur.

I've also wondered if there any way to send SLIR the image requests sequentially, instead of in parallel, but I may be limited by Wordpress there.  An example site running my plugin and using SLIR is available here:  http://ungallery.markpreynolds.com/gallery?gallerylink=2013/April/Curts50th

Any suggestions appreciated,
Mark
Message has been deleted