Fargo/Dave's workflow: blog <-> linkblog <-> twitter?

Erik Paulson

May 21, 2014, 10:19:11 PM5/21/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
This is half a question for Dave, and half a question about the smallpicture stack (and really, what does what)

Dave, your linkblog looks like it's a superset of scripting news, and a subset of your tweets. I'm curious, how much of it is automated, and how much of it is you posting multiple times?

I've tried to dig into it some, and it looks like the linkblogging is not fully automatic, but rather, mostly automatic with a bookmarklet to reduce the friction:

Does that automatically tweet what you store with your bookmarklet, or do you just cut-and-paste? Is there any automated flow between scripting.com and your linkblog?

I think the mix of
Twitter as simple conversations/social discovery
linkblog as "social" discovery/tool for self-reference
scripting as noteblog/short commentary on other links

is really interesting.

I think it'd be really cool if your linkblog generated an alternate shortlink, and stashed a copy (or pointed into an archive.org copy) of whatever the target of the link might be. Maybe the shortlink points to the original for as long as it can, and if the original ever disappears, it switches to point to the cached copy.

Anyway, I'm sitting here finally doing a tab-sweep across three computers, and debating "what do I read tonight, what do I just close, and what URLs do I stick in my to-read-later Google doc", I'm wishing that I had a linkblog to which I could push some of these things, and thought I'd see how other people are doing it.

Thanks,

-Erik

Ken Smith

May 21, 2014, 10:45:14 PM5/21/14
to smallpic...@googlegroups.com
Someone else may have taken the process further, but here is what I've been able to assemble as a regular, fast practice.

1. I read something online that I want to comment on. I click on the Fargo Bookmarklet which resides on the bookmark row of the Chrome browser. It grabs the URL and the title of the document or whatever in the document I might have highlighted and it posts it into today's date in the calendar portion of my main outline.

2. I head over to Fargo then or later.  I give the thing the bookmarklet that loaded there any kind of tweaking I want to give it. If I want the link to display on a few key words, I put square brackets around those words. With the cursor in the new entry, I click on the suitcase icon, erase the "isComment" line, save, and it is not live on my noteblog.

3. If I want to also send it to my Twitter, I click on the Scripts menu where I have loaded one of the scripts made the a community member last year that turns an entry into a tweet. A twitter composing box pops up with the text of my new entry, the link, and a character count so I know if it needs to be shortened or not. I post that from that screen. That screen disappears, and the new tweet is loaded at my Twitter feed.

A handful of things you have to do to your out-of-the-box Fargo to make this possible. Grab the Bookmarklet from the Fargo docs and load it into the browser; have a named outline going, a public outline that posts to the web; tell Fargo to put items from the bookmarklet there (I think); tell Fargo your Twitter account info. I think that's it.

Once those things are set up, though, you can go from "Hey, cool bit of reading, I want to post that" to a Fargo entry and then on to a Twitter entry in about two minutes, maybe even one.

Maybe others have scripted it into a more fully automated thing, but I don't have the skills and I don't want it to be automated anyway.

Ken