Using SlickGrid to update data accessible to client via REST API

Mark Wood-Patrick

Jan 19, 2014, 3:49:15 PM1/19/14
to slic...@googlegroups.com
It seems like the DataView interface could be used to create a custom data provider to provide CRUD interface for data accessible via a REST api but I can't find any examples which do this. Does anyone know of any or any reasons why this would be a problem?

Michael Leibman

Jan 20, 2014, 1:47:25 PM1/20/14
to slickgrid
The primary reason would be that given the current DataView interface, your AJAX calls to the REST backend would have to be synchronous, which is a deal-breaker.

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Mark Wood-Patrick <mwoodp...@gmail.com> wrote:
It seems like the DataView interface could be used to create a custom data provider to provide CRUD interface for data accessible via a REST api but I can't find any examples which do this. Does anyone know of any or any reasons why this would be a problem?

Mark Wood-Patrick

Jan 20, 2014, 7:03:25 PM1/20/14
to slic...@googlegroups.com
Any plans to fix this I really like the functionality slickgrid provides. Failing that any other recommendations on the best way to proceed or similar libraries that don't have this issue?

Mark Wood-Patrick

Michael Leibman

Jan 20, 2014, 7:11:07 PM1/20/14
to slickgrid
There's no "issue" and nothing to "fix" - you just need to write your own async REST data provider that fits your use case.
What you probably mean to say, is that you'd rather not do that work :)
I'm not aware of any such universal data providers written for SlickGrid.  If memory serves jqGrid and ExtJS grid had something like that.

Mark Wood-Patrick

Jan 20, 2014, 7:22:31 PM1/20/14
to slic...@googlegroups.com
No I'm happy to write the data provider just don't want to reinvent the wheel. Will add it to my todo list

Mark

David Colliver

Feb 6, 2015, 8:52:37 AM2/6/15
to slic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Did you get anywhere with writing the CRUD interface with a REST api?

Is it something you might want to share you code?

Thanks.

Mark Wood-Patrick

Feb 6, 2015, 10:59:57 AM2/6/15
to slic...@googlegroups.com
Sorry no

I moved to a different project before I got a chance to work on this

best wishes

Mark

Mark Wood-Patrick