FW: [NCEAELDERABUSE] "Preventing and Prosecuting Elder Abuse" featured topic on NIJ home page this week

Jim Dolan

Oct 20, 2010, 4:26:21 PM10/20/10
to skagit-eld...@googlegroups.com

From: National Center on Elder Abuse Forum [mailto:ELDER...@LIST.NIH.GOV] On Behalf Of Stiegel, Lori
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:40 AM
To: ELDER...@LIST.NIH.GOV
Subject: [NCEAELDERABUSE] "Preventing and Prosecuting Elder Abuse" featured topic on NIJ home page this week

Exciting news!  The FEATURED TOPIC this week on the home page of the National Institute of Justice (NIJ)—the research, development, and evaluation agency of the U.S. Department of Justice—is “Preventing and Prosecuting Elder Abuse.”  This highlights and provides easy access to a transcript and podcast of a session by that name from the NIJ annual conference last June.  Participants at that session included:

The session focused on two NIJ-funded studies.  Shelly discussed her study that looked at factors affecting a prosecutor’s decision to bring an elder abuse case.  I had the privilege of presenting preliminary findings of our study assessing five court-focused elder abuse initiatives across the country.  Page discussed our findings and their implications to the field; Andy facilitated the session.

Thanks go to Carrie Mulford of NIJ, whose portfolio includes elder abuse, for organizing the conference session and for doing whatever it took to have NIJ give elder abuse such prominent coverage on its home page.

Through this week, you can access the transcript and podcast on the NIJ home page:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/

After this week, you can still find the transcript and podcast (and lots of other good information) on NIJ’s elder abuse page: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/topics/crime/elder-abuse/welcome.htm

PLEASE NOTE that at least today, the link to the podcast from the transcript page does not work, but the “listen to the panel” link on the home page works.  NIJ is aware of this problem and is working to fix it.  (They already fixed a different problem.)

ALSO PLEASE NOTE: the report on my project is in draft right now and is undergoing NIJ review.  I have no idea when it will be disseminated.  You can be sure that I will inform the listserve when final products (whether the report or articles in other publications) are available.  I do not know the status of Shelly’s work.

Lori

Lori A. Stiegel

Senior Attorney

ABA Commission on Law & Aging

740 15th Street NW

Washington, DC 20005

(P) 202-662-8692

(F) 202-662-8698

lsti...@staff.abanet.org

www.abanet.org/aging

*************************************** The NCEA ElderAbuse listserve is administered by the University of Delaware as a project of the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA) and is supported in part by the U.S. Administration on Aging. To reply or send a message to the entire NCEA listserve, address your post to ELDER...@LIST.NIH.GOV. To change your listserve status, send the following command(s) in an email directly to LIST...@LIST.NIH.GOV: SET ELDERABUSE NOMAIL: To TEMPORARILY SUSPEND receiving messages. SET ELDERABUSE MAIL: To RENEW listserve after temporarily suspending mail. SIGNOFF ELDERABUSE: To UNSUBSCRIBE permanently. Do not include a subject header or any other text, and remember you must send the message from the address at which you are subscribed. Send feedback or questions to the listserve manager, Sharon Merriman-Nai, at ncea...@aoa.hhs.gov or 302-831-3525.