The Canada Revenue Agency is Running a Contest :CRA SOTW

Alan Baggett

Feb 4, 2009, 10:21:55 AM2/4/09
The Canada Revenue Agency is Running a Contest :CRA SOTW

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is inviting Canadians to tell how the
underground economy is affecting them and their communities by
participating in the Underground Economy - Not your Problem? YouTube
video contest.

Visit the CRA's YouTube channel to find out why the underground
economy is a problem for all Canadians. Then create a video, and tell
us what you think about the underground economy and how it's a problem
for you, your family, or your business. Submit your video entry to the
CRA's YouTube channel. The winner will be honoured with the CRA
Independent Video Producer Award at a special screening to take place
in Ottawa during the spring of 2009. The videos may be used in CRA
outreach initiatives.

"The government is committed to helping Canadians understand their tax
obligations so they can meet their responsibilities and protect
themselves from fraud. In these difficult economic times, it is an
increased priority for the government to address the underground
economy and protect responsible taxpayers who comply with the tax
laws," said the Honourable Jean-Pierre Blackburn, Minister of National
Revenue. "All Canadians are affected by the underground economy and
should take advantage of this opportunity to have their say."

Those who participate in the underground economy are avoiding their
tax responsibilities at the expense of all Canadians. This places an
unfair burden on law-abiding businesses and individuals by reducing
the amount of money available for important government programs like
health care, education, and the environment.

The underground economy also undermines the competitiveness of
businesses and individuals because it offers an unfair, illegal
advantage to those who fail to comply with Canada's tax laws.

Consumers who indirectly support the underground economy by paying
cash for a "cheaper deal" should also be aware of the risks they are
taking by dealing with someone who is not operating legitimately,
which includes not having any recourse for poor workmanship and being
liable if someone is injured on the job.

The CRA is working with other federal departments, provincial and
territorial governments, professional organizations, and key industry
groups to identify, prevent, and take action on the underground
economy.

"Through the YouTube video contest, we are opening a dialogue with
Canadians," said Minister Blackburn. "The underground economy is a
significant problem with serious consequences for taxpayers,
businesses, and our economy. Let's start talking about it and start
working together."

The YouTube video contest will be open until April 30, 2009. For more
information on the underground economy, guidelines for video
submissions, and a link to the CRA's YouTube channel, go to www.cra.gc.ca/contest.

Miss a Tax Tale Miss a lot!
Pop the link below into your browser to view the entire CRA SOTW
Library!
http://canada.revenue.agency.angelfire.com
Alan Baggett – Tax Collector’s Bible

Feb 10, 2009, 7:19:45 PM2/10/09
thats the funniest thing I have ever heard of...
"Alan Baggett" <canadareve...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Alan Baggett

Feb 11, 2009, 1:51:04 PM2/11/09
On Feb 10, 7:19 pm, "C" <barcoo2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> thats the funniest thing I have ever heard of..."Alan Baggett" <canadarevenueagen...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> ------------------------------------------------------------Alan Baggett– Tax Collector’s Bible

Yeah, a lot of folks have got a kick out of this - why pay staff when
you can get regular Canadians to do their job for free!

Canuck57

Feb 11, 2009, 11:43:56 PM2/11/09

"Alan Baggett" <canada.rev...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Those who participate in the underground economy are avoiding their
> tax responsibilities at the expense of all Canadians. This places an
> unfair burden on law-abiding businesses and individuals by reducing
> the amount of money available for important government programs like
> health care, education, and the environment.

Actually, I wouldn't turn in someone doing this if I knew someone who did
for the simple reason that the more people do this and profit by it shows
the government it has reached its limits on how much it can tax us before we
complain and work around them. I might get lower taxes and if not knowing
someone beat the government.

Lets face it, if every taxpayer organized into a non-tax strike against the
government. We all just didn't go to work. If we even had only 50%
participation government would be on it's knees in days. If we held out a
month, we could negotation 50% less taxes, at 3 months zero income taxes.

Government thrives because they get us to do their job for them, we hate our
neighbours because we have been tought not to trust each other to the
government benefit. It makes tax revolt, better political choice,
organisations for the people to be heard and our very freedoms more
difficult. They want us to turn in others on jealocy, a sin traight used in
herd management.

So far this form of conflict management has worked. But many are now onto
this and realize government is managing us using a long known technique
called "conflict managment". Yes, you are not heard, you are herd. Don't
be a dumb cow, think about why government is doing this before turning in
someone. Don't be a snitch unless you understand fully why.

> The underground economy also undermines the competitiveness of
> businesses and individuals because it offers an unfair, illegal
> advantage to those who fail to comply with Canada's tax laws.

Hardly, makes a dollar 50% more powerful in purchasing. Say a $1000 in
services goes for $700 on the underground. That is $300 in my pocket and
the worker does not get GST, PST, CPP, EI, etc income taxes he has to pay.
Everyone wins but the government, and I am sure we will spend the savings to
our mutual benefit much better and efficiently than the government can.

Just be careful though, it it is CCRA or someone you know is legit?

A note about the underground. Most is to beat taxes. But if I do bump into
stolen property I will turn them in. This is about excessive and abusive
tax slavery, not about screwing others.

> Consumers who indirectly support the underground economy by paying
> cash for a "cheaper deal" should also be aware of the risks they are
> taking by dealing with someone who is not operating legitimately,
> which includes not having any recourse for poor workmanship and being
> liable if someone is injured on the job.

Agreed. But say for $500 in services am I going to get a $500/hr lawyer
plus GST+PST and take unpaid time off anyway? Like always, don't deal with
anyone above or under the table unless you know their reputation. This
point is mute.

And if injured on the job, just say where is the contract? LOL. The best
part is both of you have lots to loose to squeal. Non issue.

> The CRA is working with other federal departments, provincial and
> territorial governments, professional organizations, and key industry
> groups to identify, prevent, and take action on the underground
> economy.

I am sure they are, government hates decent. They like nice, well behaved
tax paying herds of people for the fleacing. And we have no other avenues
to decent. They love it when we squeal on each other.

You can't vote for a change. Every half baked candidate is a statist big
expensive tax screwing government option. They make your vote choices
limited to big government. While most of us want lower taxes, government
routinly ignores us and sends the CCRA to harass and collect.

Time for some passive resistance.

> "Through the YouTube video contest, we are opening a dialogue with
> Canadians," said Minister Blackburn. "The underground economy is a
> significant problem with serious consequences for taxpayers,
> businesses, and our economy. Let's start talking about it and start
> working together."

Not even going to waste the bytes. It is called tax revolt for those with
the abilities and skills that lend themselves to cash trade. Good for them.
I am not a jealous slug because someone was smarter than I.

Here is my tax tale. I was out of the country for 10 years and not a
resident in Canada. Drivers license, health care and dependants with me. I
called the CCRA and asked what to do to minimize my taxes. They stated "To
get CPP and EI etc. to submit my taxes to Ottawa. You can have your taxes
done where you are and put credits on the Canadian income tax." Know I said
I was going to be out of the country for at least 3 years.

Well I knew that wasn't tax efficient, so I dropped $500 to my old Canadian
tax accountant and he filed my "tax home" and "null" return with new
address. And for 10 years I got a much lower tax rate in the country I was
in, saved me $300,000 in taxes to do this. 100% legal like too. You don't
think Celine Dion paid Canadian income tax on $200M plus residuals while at
Ceasars do you? How about Paul Martian? Brian Mulrony's brief case of
cash? Or how about MPs buying diamond rings abroad to beat Canadian Customs
and GST/PST.

Don't trust the CCRA for advice. They tried dicking me arround on a PAR
adjustment last year. Tax accountant says it is good and the CCRA is
"uninformed about it's own rulings" and sent me a PDF on CCRA letter head to
reply with. Shut them up good.

LOL. Their job is to bilk you for as much as they can get, plain and
simple. I would sooner trust the devil, as at least with the name devil you
know to get your fur up and resist. Greedy government buggers.

kab...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 8:51:08 PM3/9/09
On Feb 12, 12:43 am, "Canuck57" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> "Alan Baggett" <canada.revenueage...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I would never snitch on someone who is smart enough to make money
under the table. We pay enough taxes. The government is using the poor
economy to get people stirred up. It's typical and pretty sickening.