Sinhala Unicode for HTML documents

lakdiva

Feb 26, 2018, 9:35:34 AM2/26/18
to සිංහල යුනිකෝඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode Group
There are many copies of
online.

What would be useful is to go one step beyond
and give for Sinhala something like what is given for Tamil in
i.e. display the Equivalent HTML Text that can be
directly copied to a HTML document.

Does anyone know any such resource online for Sinhala

Thanks

With best regards

Kavan

Janaka Nayanajith

Mar 7, 2018, 1:07:43 AM3/7/18
to sinhala...@googlegroups.com
It's difficult to find such a service. Just copy and paste Sinhala
text to a website like this.
http://www.online-toolz.com/tools/unicode-html-entities-convertor.php
> --
> සිංහල යුනිකෝඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode Group.
> මෙම සමූහයට විද්‍යුත් තැපැල් පණිවුඩයක් එවීමට:
> Sinhala...@googlegroups.com
> දායකත්වයෙන් ඉවත්වීමට මෙම ලිපිනයට ලියන්න:
> Sinhala-Unico...@googlegroups.com
> වෙනත් විකල්ප සඳහා සමූහය වෙත එන්න:
> http://groups.google.com/group/Sinhala-Unicode?hl=si
> If you have trouble reading Sinhala Fonts, please visit
> http://si.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sinhala_font for instructions.
> ---
> "සිංහල යුනිකෝඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode Group" group.
> email to sinhala-unico...@googlegroups.com.

Janaka Nayanajith
ජනක නයකජිත්

lakdiva

Mar 9, 2018, 12:00:37 AM3/9/18
to සිංහල යුනිකෝඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode Group
Janaka, Thanks for that very useful link.
I have two more Questions for which I need answers

1) The Default font size that Sinhala appears on my Google Chrome Browse slightly smaller in Sinhala සිංහල than Tamil தமிழ் and maybe English.
Why ? How can I set it to be the same.

2) Why is the Unicode Sinhala dhaa දා different to how it is written on our books and even our current currency notes as .
Also find that Tamil naa is also written differently in Unicode as னாand not .

See http://notes.lakdiva.org/ccgc/194xgvit/1947_gvi_10000r.html
Can they be written as it appears on currency notes with some optional Unicode text, script or font definition within the HTML ?.
Are there any changes needed to Unicode character set, or can issue be resolved within it's implementation. i.e. Improve default font implementation used by Windows, Chrome etc

Thanks Kavan

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 11:37:43 AM UTC+5:30, Janaka Nayanajith wrote:
It's difficult to find such a service. Just copy and paste Sinhala
text to a website like this.
http://www.online-toolz.com/tools/unicode-html-entities-convertor.php

Janaka Nayanajith
ජනක නයකජිත්

ෙෂහාන් තුෂාර ෙහ්මාල්

Mar 10, 2018, 10:56:00 PM3/10/18
to sinhala...@googlegroups.com
Unicode Sinhala dhaa is shown as දා only in iskoola pota, if you use other sinhala unicode font like un-bindumathi its shown as  .

--
සිංහල යුනිකෝඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode Group.
මෙම සමූහයට විද්‍යුත් තැපැල් පණිවුඩයක් එවීමට: Sinhala-Unicode@googlegroups.com

Janaka Nayanajith

Mar 11, 2018, 12:29:39 AM3/11/18
to sinhala...@googlegroups.com
Janaka, Thanks for that very useful link.
I have two more Questions for which I need answers

1) The Default font size that Sinhala appears on my Google Chrome Browse slightly smaller in Sinhala සිංහල than Tamil தமிழ் and maybe English.
Why ? How can I set it to be the same.

It's because the default Tamil font is larger in Chome. If you use the font "Malithi web" for Sinhala it will be same in size as Tamil.

--
සිංහල යුනිකෝඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode Group.
මෙම සමූහයට විද්‍යුත් තැපැල් පණිවුඩයක් එවීමට: Sinhala-Unicode@googlegroups.com

lakdiva

Mar 16, 2018, 1:17:18 AM3/16/18
to සිංහල යුනිකෝඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode Group

Thanks I find that Bashita and some other fonts do write dhaa correctly,
but that is not the default fonts used by Browsers if no font is defined.
Wish default font displayed properly.

How do I redefine defaults for my webpage including relative size, without
needing to use a font tag each time I switch to Sinhala or Tamil.

        @font-face {
                font-family:LBhashita;
                src:url('fonts/LBhashita.ttf') format('truetype');
                unicode-range: U+0D80-0DFF;
                font-style: normal;
        }
        @font-face {
                font-family:jaffnaNormal;
                src:url('fontt/jaffnaNormal.ttf') format('truetype');
                unicode-range: U+0B80-0BFF;
        }

Allows me to redefine fonts to be used for Sinhala and Tamil range of unicode.
How do I specify which to use for Bold

Thanks

Kavan