Rails Calendar Gems

Reuben Tan

Nov 3, 2014, 4:32:21 AM11/3/14
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Hello experts,

I am looking for a rails gem that provides functionalities similar to Google Calendar. Features like :
  • Recurring events
  • HTML calendar display ( week, day and month )
  • clickable and editable events
  • draggable
Basically I am creating attendance system for a tuition agency where every event is attached with an attendance object and a teacher object. These events are recurring and subject to changes in dates.

I can't google it because I am in China but I can bing it, unfortunately even websites that uses google fonts and etc are all being blocked.

I did some of my " bing-ing " and ruby-toolbox, and I saw some options. Most of the options I saw on ruby-toolbox doesn't have a demo or they are suitable for rails 2+.

The only suitable one I saw was fullcalendar.io, which is a javascript library that provides all the UI interactions but no persistence ability.

I would like to know what are the gems you guys used before that has similar functionalities like gCal.

p.s. I am using my friend's laptop with VPN to access google groups. If you are wondering how did I access google stuff.

Many thanks. =)

choonkeat

Nov 3, 2014, 8:18:09 AM11/3/14
to singap...@googlegroups.com
nothing to contribute; never had to build a google calendar.

but wow fullcalendar.io looks rad, certainly something i'll build on top of if i ever need. thanks for the link!

Cheers
-- choonkeat

David Chua

Nov 3, 2014, 8:40:38 AM11/3/14
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Oh wow, fullcalendar does looks good!

Peter Bohm

Nov 4, 2014, 2:01:55 AM11/4/14
to Miloslav Majek
I use http://ext.ensible.com/ for the calendar functionality.
It's neither free nor ruby...so most probably not really what you would use, but it's very easy to integrate with Rails (or any) back-end using JSON. Also, easily extensible using ext so again, probably not what you want

Peter

Reuben Tan

Nov 5, 2014, 2:57:39 AM11/5/14
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peter,

Thanks for the sharing the gem you used, I will definitely keep this ext in mind if I ever need to build an extensive app that built around a calendar. =)

Just to fill in, I am going to use fullcalendar and build the functionalities around it to get what I want.

=)

Btw, if you are going to stay in China for awhile, I recommend to use VyprVPN.