Monitoring the SSP IdP

Skip to the first unread message

Keith Wessel

21 Feb 2017, 22:03:3121/02/2017
to simple...@googlegroups.com

Hi, all,

Our proxy IdP is about to go into production, and I want to get our Nagios instance making sure to keep tabs on it. I know I could write something fancy that logs in to some SP through the IdP, but I’m looking for something simple.

I don’t see any kind of status or health check URL in SSP that simply confirms that PHP and the SSP codebase is behaving. Is there something I’m missing? Or any suggestions on something in SSP that would suffice for that?

My one thought at this point is to just have Nagios call the IdP’s metadata URL and confirm that it’s getting back a 200.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Keith

Mark Boyce

21 Feb 2017, 22:58:1521/02/2017
to simple...@googlegroups.com
Have you looked at Sanitycheck?  That's what we're using.

Sent from my iPhone

Federatieve Services - GDI

22 Feb 2017, 03:55:0122/02/2017
to simple...@googlegroups.com

Hey Keith,

I’ve been giving this some thought over the last few months and recently started experimenting with a module that can perform a number of checks (test authsources, check certificate validity) and is able to return either a human readable result-page or an XML that can be parsed by any monitoring system. My usecase would be MS SCOM. Eventhough this experiment is not even near beta-status, perhaps we can share some thoughts and team up on this?

- Tim

pat...@cirrusidentity.com

22 Feb 2017, 14:06:2922/02/2017
to SimpleSAMLphp
We do a couple things to monitor an existing installation. The two simplest are

1. We created https://github.com/cirrusidentity/simplesamlphp-module-cirrusmonitor to be able to return something useful to a monitoring program (we use New Relic). Currently it just monitors metadata availability. You give it a few entityIds and the minimum amount of time they should be valid for.  Currently the module is 'the simplest thing that would work now' but we'll refine it as we find more things we want to actively monitor.
2. If you have a place to feed logs that can generate alerts then you can define rules to alert if a user encounters an error that may be indicative of a wider problem.

Our other monitoring techniques don't qualify as simple :)

-Patrick

Tim van Dijen

6 May 2018, 06:52:5706/05/2018
to SimpleSAMLphp
Hi Keith,

It's been a while, but I've actually managed to develop an SSP-module over the last year that can do lots of health checking.
It can do certificate checks on endpoints, test connectivity towards authsources, etc. and can output in XML and with HTTP status codes for use in 3rd party monitoring software.
I personally use it to monitor a dozen instances of SSP and then have all their stats in one SCOM dashboard.

Please have a look: https://github.com/tvdijen/simplesamlphp-module-monitor

- Tim