log fields

gbarbe...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2016, 1:02:18 PM9/30/16
to SimpleSAMLphp
I'm importing our logs into splunk and now I'm in the process of creating new fields to improve searching. My question is what to label some of these fields

Sep 29 14:07:10 saml.****.*** Sep 29 14:07:10 ****-****-*** simplesamlphp[6278]: 5 STAT [276543ff7d] User '***********' has been successfully authenticated.

6278 I assume this is a port id  and this 276543ff7d is a session id. Is that correct?

gbarbe...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2016, 2:17:55 PM9/30/16
to SimpleSAMLphp
Correction 6278 is the process id, so I figured that much out. Still not sure what 276543ff7d refers to.

Jaime Pérez Crespo

Oct 4, 2016, 3:34:45 AM10/4/16
to simple...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

gbarbe...@gmail.com wrote:
> Correction 6278 is the process id, so I figured that much out. Still not
> sure what 276543ff7d refers to.

That's right, 6278 here is the process ID for the SimpleSAMLphp instance.

The string between squared brackets, on the other hand, is the "track
ID" (which shall not be confused with the session ID. The session ID is
kept private because otherwise we would be able to impersonate a user by
setting the session cookie to the session ID. Therefore, we keep what we
call a "track ID", which is an identifier tied to a session (same host,
same browser, and it survives login/logout) that allows us to track that
session, without being able to use it ourselves.

--
Jaime Pérez
UNINETT / Feide

jaime...@uninett.no
jaime...@protonmail.com
9A08 EA20 E062 70B4 616B 43E3 562A FE3A 6293 62C2

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Greg Barber

Oct 4, 2016, 11:45:04 AM10/4/16