How to integrate simplesamlphp for .net windows federation authentication ?

Punith Kumar

Aug 9, 2017, 6:53:14 AM8/9/17
to SimpleSAMLphp
I have a php Application and I have onther .net application for authentication.
Now I have to use simplesamlphp for authentication of my php application.

.net application uses windows federation authentication.

Is it possible with simplesamlphp ?

Peter Schober

Aug 9, 2017, 7:25:48 AM8/9/17
to SimpleSAMLphp
* Punith Kumar <punit...@gmail.com> [2017-08-09 12:53]:
> *I have a php Application and I have onther .net application for
> authentication.*
> *Now I have to use simplesamlphp for authentication of my php application.*

Where are subjects expected to enter their crendentials -- into the
.NET application (as implied by "I have [another] .net application for
authentication") or into yet another system (e.g. an Identity Provider
or authentication server of some sort)?

> *.net application uses windows federation authentication.*

What protocol and specification is "windows federation authentication"
precisely? Something from the WS-* family?

SimpleSAMLphp implements the SAML 2.0 Web Browser SSO Profile, among
other things. In M$ speak that's SAML2 protocol "passive", I think.
But I think there's also support for some WS-Federation, IIRC.

So first consider what are protected resources (applications) and what
are the authentication components. Then pick a suitable standard
protocol. Then chose an implementation of that protocol
(e.g. SimpleSAMLphp, but possibly something else).

-peter