Error importing Shell

Stephen Ng

Jul 6, 2012, 9:45:16 PM7/6/12
to simp...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying SimpleCV 1.2 on a fresh Ubuntu 12.04; I get an error following the instructions on the tutorial:

Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 20 2012, 22:44:07)
[GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
>>> from SimpleCV import Shell
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/SimpleCV/Shell/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from Shell import *
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/SimpleCV/Shell/Shell.py", line 35, in <module>
    from IPython.Shell import IPShellEmbed
ImportError: No module named Shell

Nathan Oostendorp

Jul 6, 2012, 9:50:17 PM7/6/12
to simp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen -- 12.04 ships with ipython 0.12, so I'd recommend you use the latest version on github:

(sudo easy_install pip)

Stephen Ng

Jul 7, 2012, 10:52:19 AM7/7/12
to simp...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I did all that (including installing easy_install) but still exactly the same error...

This is a completely clean 12.04 with nothing else installed, running under VirtualBox.

Steve

Nathan Oostendorp

Jul 7, 2012, 10:56:13 AM7/7/12
to simp...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, you may need to run pip with the --upgrade flag or "pip uninstall SimpleCV" first

then you should just be able to run "simplecv" from the command line

Stephen Ng

Jul 7, 2012, 11:41:32 AM7/7/12
to simp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that works!

Stephen Ng

Jul 7, 2012, 11:44:15 AM7/7/12
to simp...@googlegroups.com
BTW, "example list" produces no output; is that correct?

I ran a few other commands and they seem to work.

Nathan Oostendorp

Jul 7, 2012, 5:09:12 PM7/7/12
to simp...@googlegroups.com, Katherine Scott
You're correct -- Kat,  were any Summer of Code students working on the example/tutorial stuff?