munkitools_ .pkg files left in Macintosh HD after installation on clients

Thomas Maerz

Feb 17, 2016, 1:05:36 PM2/17/16
to Simian Discuss
I am seeing after deploying simian's client onto machines 4 files on the Macintosh HD root folder in finder:

munkitools_admin-2.3.0.2519.pkg
munkitools_app-4.1.2518.pkg
munkitools_core-2.3.0.2519.pkg
munkitools_launchd-2.0.0.1969.pkg

Has anyone seen this before?

Justin McWilliams

Feb 17, 2016, 1:28:48 PM2/17/16
to Simian Discuss
This is definitely not intended, but perhaps a leak in build-prep cleanup.

Here's where the Munki pkg is downloaded, extracted into separate sub-pkgs, and then extracted into raw contents (${MUNKIFILE} and add_munkicontents): https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/Makefile#L85

As you'll notice all files (including those you listed) are placed within a temp dir named "tmpcontents", which is then tar'd up for deployment to clients: https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/Makefile#L110

Without testing this, I'm guessing the extracted Munki pkgs have a preset path of /usr/local/munki/ (within tmpcontents), so when the tar is extracted they all end up in the right place.  The raw pkgs, however, were never removed from tmpcontents, and thus are copied over to their matching destination (root of tar -> root of /).

Maybe the gzip | pax line should be followed with a rm of each pkg: https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/Makefile#L93   Can you try changing that line to "gzip -dc "$$pkg/Payload" | pax -r | rm "$$pkg" ; done" , rebuild and redeploy your installer, and see if that helps?

Thomas Maerz

Feb 17, 2016, 2:31:54 PM2/17/16
to Simian Discuss
I haven't tested the dmg yet, but make dmg thinks $$pkg is a directory so, I added -r to the command to make it succeed. I will report back after I've tested the new installer.

Thomas Maerz

Feb 17, 2016, 2:43:13 PM2/17/16
to Simian Discuss
That seems to have fixed it! Thanks.