Apple Updates on 10.11

Will Jenkins

Jun 9, 2016, 9:34:42 AM6/9/16
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It seems like starting on 10.11, softwareupdate no longer accepts file:// URLs for the CatalogURL setting. The logs are filled with this message:

softwareupdated[2643]: Invalid CatalogURL found: file://localhost/Library/Managed%20Installs/applesus.sucatalog from preference setting file://localhost/Library/Managed%20Installs/applesus.sucatalog

This causes softwareupdate to fall back on the Apple served catalog, meaning we can no longer hold back updates from the stable track.

One solution, proposed here, would be to run a local webserver so we can set CatalogURL to a valid http URL. I have attached a working example script for such a webserver. However, this solution would require a change to how the CatalogURL is enforced by simian here. We would need a way to specify that for 10.11, Simian should still download catalogs, but not enforce the CatalogURL setting.

Thanks,

Will
catalog_server.py

Maxim Ermilov

Jun 10, 2016, 11:19:02 AM6/10/16
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

> One solution, proposed here, would be to run a local webserver so we can set CatalogURL to a valid http URL.

Sounds great.
Most complex part will be integration of new executable into client package and testing new package on 3 OSX versions(10.9, 10.10, 10.11).

Thanks,
Maxim

Gregory Neagle

Jun 10, 2016, 11:20:19 AM6/10/16
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Only three? Munki 2.x supports 10.6-10.11... Does Simian support a subset?

-Greg

Maxim Ermilov

Jun 10, 2016, 11:25:40 AM6/10/16
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
> Only three? Munki 2.x supports 10.6-10.11... Does Simian support a subset?

yes,

But this change should not affect old clients.

_____
Maxim

Will Jenkins

Oct 26, 2016, 7:47:10 AM10/26/16
to Simian Discuss
Hi Maxim,

I just wanted to say - thanks so much for refactoring to get the Apple catalogs working again. I have been testing on 10.12 and it is working perfectly!

I had to change the version of Munki that the Simian Makefile is pinned to because the older version is running softwareupdate with the wrong flags. So far 2.8.2.2855 has been working well.

Thanks,

Will