Front-End Instance Hours up since updating in March

Josh M

Jun 21, 2017, 10:12:48 AM6/21/17
to Simian Discuss
Good morning,

Our Simian installation was updated on March 14th.  Since that date our front-end instance hours have dramatically increased.  Before that date we were always below the free quota.  I didn't change anything in the code other than doing the git pull.  I believe I only have 1 instance running.  How do I get it back down to where it was?  Our operating costs are over $3 a day when it was less than .05 before.

Thanks,
Josh

Justin McWilliams

Jun 21, 2017, 10:31:20 AM6/21/17
to Simian Discuss
Josh,

Do you know what Git rev you were running prior to the lastest pull and release? This should be discoverable in GCP's Cloud Console, under Versions.  This will help look over the diff between your previous release and this one to find any code changes which may be relevant.

Have you checked request logs to see if there are any obvious repeat errors / retries?  Does your QPS load look ~constant before and after release?  Are there possibly any Task Queue tasks with a high failure / retry count?

- Justin

da...@thoughtmachine.net

Jun 27, 2017, 4:35:32 AM6/27/17
to Simian Discuss
Did you have any luck here Josh? I recently deployed Simian (April) and our instance (servicing less than 30 clients) is seeing ~$3 cost also.
Justin -  I'm aware that the default instance type changed at some point to a more capable one in order to cater for the Apple catalogue work IIRC. Could that be a factor (I tried to check your suggestions and nothing jumped out)?
Happy to provide some detail if it would help.

David
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to simian-discus...@googlegroups.com.

Justin McWilliams

Jun 27, 2017, 10:25:48 AM6/27/17
to Simian Discuss
It looks like the default instance class was upped from F1 to F4 in January: https://github.com/google/simian/commit/ce05164fcb4b9f11a7e3b886ab4db6a6892f2d2e

You can manually change that back to F1 in your local Git repo here: https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/src/simian/mac/app.yaml#L4

Ideally Simian settings or build offered a way to override this.

David Harvey

Jun 27, 2017, 11:08:48 AM6/27/17
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Justin. To confirm - I can edit that and just run the deploy steps again, or is there any other magic required? I'm guessing I can't change the type in situ..
Fingers crossed the applesus stuff will keep working on F1 or F2!

Justin McWilliams

Jun 27, 2017, 11:13:13 AM6/27/17
to Simian Discuss
Yea, just edit and re-deploy.

I think F1 or F2 is good enough for general operations, assuming your client count is low.  It's just not enough to bootstrap a new, fresh instance lacking any Apple Update metadata.  Once it's backfilled, I think it's enough for normal iteration, especially so if you trim OS_VERSIONS down to just a couple of releases (assuming you don't need to support old versions): https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/src/simian/mac/common/applesus.py#L36