API Documentation

Michael Holt

Aug 10, 2015, 2:57:58 AM8/10/15
to Simian Discuss
I was wondering if you could provide basic information on how to use the API.

Thanks!

Justin McWilliams

Aug 10, 2015, 10:38:27 AM8/10/15
to Simian Discuss
Michael,

As you noticed, there's not any documentation on how to use the API (or even the features the API supports).  What is it you're looking to accomplish?

The API is a bit sparse, but offers three primary buckets of functionality today:

1) the packages handler returns a JSON dictionary of all packages and a subset of associate metadata, protected by the API key (as set in Admin Tools -> Configuration in the web UI): https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/src/simian/mac/api/packages.py

2) the info handler returns an iCal formatted dump of all Apple Software Update promotions, also protected by the API key as in #1: https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/src/simian/mac/api/info.py

3) the dynamic manifest mods handler allows for integrations which automatically add or remove packages to particular users, hosts, tags, etc. (same functionality as the web UI), and is protected by standard Google Account auth, including OAuth2.0 support: https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/src/simian/mac/api/dynamic_manifest.py && https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/oauth/

- Justin

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 2:57 AM, Michael Holt <mh...@reallifechurch.org> wrote:
I was wondering if you could provide basic information on how to use the API.

Thanks!

Michael Holt

Aug 10, 2015, 4:15:25 PM8/10/15
to Simian Discuss
I was just trying to play with the API as my next project will be developing an admin console that integrates all the seperate systems i'm using to manage our macs into one interface for reporting and management.  I was playing with the packages and info API's but couldn't get anything to return when specifying ?key=<api_key) in the URL

Justin McWilliams

Aug 10, 2015, 4:50:03 PM8/10/15
to Simian Discuss
I've reproduced an issue with caching; API Info Key changes (in the admin web UI) are not effective until after App Engine instances are restarted.

Workaround, either:
- redeploy the source (i.e. make release)
- visit the Cloud Console (cloud.google.com) -> Compute -> App Engine -> Instances -> and clicking "Shutdown" next to each running instance.

I think the offending line is this (and it likely broke when we upgraded from Python2.5 -> Python2.7): https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/src/simian/mac/admin/config.py#L140