Status 411 error during preflight

John Meyers

Jun 5, 2017, 6:22:39 PM6/5/17
to Simian Discuss
Attempting to install Simian for the first time...  After resolving some previous Python issues, the preflight is now getting further but returning:

DEBUG:root:Requesting POST https://simian-xxxxx.appspot.com/applesus/

DEBUG:root:Waiting for response

DEBUG:root:Response status 411

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/local/munki/simian_client.py", line 87, in <module>

    sys.exit(main(sys.argv[1:]))

  File "/usr/local/munki/simian_client.py", line 73, in main

    preflight.RunPreflight(runtype, server_url=server_url)

  File "/usr/local/munki/simian/lib/python2.7/site-packages/simian-2.5-py2.7.egg/simian/mac/client/preflight.py", line 430, in RunPreflight

    flight_common.UpdateAppleSUSCatalog(client)

  File "/usr/local/munki/simian/lib/python2.7/site-packages/simian-2.5-py2.7.egg/simian/mac/client/flight_common.py", line 573, in UpdateAppleSUSCatalog

    raise base_client.HTTPError

simian.client.client.HTTPError

Nothing on the forum here about this error.  The SUS catalogs have been downloaded and visible in the admin UI.

John Meyers

Jun 6, 2017, 10:41:42 AM6/6/17
to Simian Discuss
This error seems to only occur on 10.9 machines.  Also, the request does NOT appear on the service's request log in cloud console.  This rare HTTP error appears to be caused by the client not sending a Content-Length header in the POST request.  I'm not sure why this would happen on 10.9 only.

Maxim Ermilov

Jun 7, 2017, 11:46:43 AM6/7/17
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
> I'm not sure why this would happen on 10.9 only.

10.9 has older version of python.
I don't have 10.9 installation at hand.
Can you test if adding empty body will help?

i.e. in simian/mac/client/flight_common.py line 573 add additional argument body='' (or body='1').

Thanks,
Maxim

John Meyers

Jun 7, 2017, 12:30:18 PM6/7/17
to Simian Discuss
It's actually line 569 for me, but yes, that did the trick!  Both preflight and the MSU app work on 10.9.  Will make the commit to the repo?  That should be be enough to get us started with Simian here.  Will let you know how it goes.

Many thanks!

John

Thanks,
Maxim