Native Munki mobileconfig (configuration profiles)

EB

Apr 8, 2016, 10:10:06 AM4/8/16
to Simian Discuss
Munki has supported configuration profiles natively since version 2.2. How can we utilize this with simian?

Justin McWilliams

Apr 8, 2016, 10:18:42 AM4/8/16
to Simian Discuss
I assume this is what you're referring to: https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Managing-Configuration-Profiles

That said, I'm not familiar with "configuration profiles" / "mobileconfig".  Can you provide more context or documentation on what this is?  Or send a pull request to the Munki project to make it more clear in the linked Wiki.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 10:10 AM, EB <ethan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Munki has supported configuration profiles natively since version 2.2. How can we utilize this with simian?

Gregory Neagle

Apr 8, 2016, 10:22:54 AM4/8/16
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Justin:  ask anyone on the MacOps team at Google.

Sent from my iPhone

Gregory Neagle

Apr 8, 2016, 11:30:26 AM4/8/16
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Or, if you have 45 minutes to kill: http://docs.macsysadmin.se/2015/video/Day2Session2.mp4

Configuration profiles are central/key OS X management tools. Munki’s documentation does not go into depth on what Configuration profiles are as it’s expected an OS X admin would be familiar with them. Munki’s documentation also refers to “packages", “disk images” and “plist files”, again, without deep definition or explanation of those file formats.

-Greg

EB

Apr 8, 2016, 11:31:58 AM4/8/16
to Simian Discuss
Justin,

That is exactly what I am referring to, yes. Munki says it can use munkiimport on the xml mobileconfig file and be able to push it to clients....however, I cannot see how this would work at all with Simian.

Justin McWilliams

Apr 8, 2016, 11:53:58 AM4/8/16
to Simian Discuss
Linking to this would probably suffice: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/featuredarticles/iPhoneConfigurationProfileRef/Introduction/Introduction.html

It looks like there's makepkginfo support for this, making it seem such that makepkginfo could be executed against a .mobileconfig file, then the resulting plist could be uploaded to Simian.

In a quick search through the Simian codebase, I can't find any requirement that package uploads are of type "dmg" or "pkg", so uploading a mobileconfig should be possible.

The only potential issue I see is the file selector which the upload page presents may only allow selection of disk image files; you could try removing that requirement here: https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/src/simian/mac/admin/templates/upload_pkg_form.html#L12

Can you remove """ accept="application/x-apple-diskimage" """ there, make_release to upload a new server, try uploading a plist resulting from makepkginfo against a mobileconfig, then try uploading the mobileconfig as you would a dmg?

EB

Apr 8, 2016, 12:10:53 PM4/8/16
to Simian Discuss
I wish I could, but now I am getting this on make release:

httplib2.SSLHandshakeError: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:590)

make release used to work..but now it stopped

Justin McWilliams

Apr 8, 2016, 12:15:28 PM4/8/16
to Simian Discuss

Try installing the latest App Engine SDK (then launching from "Applications" before running make_release again): https://cloud.google.com/appengine/downloads#Google_App_Engine_SDK_for_Python