Upgrading Simian Server

Chris Whittle

Aug 26, 2015, 9:49:36 AM8/26/15
to simian-...@googlegroups.com

It's our first time to upgrade the server and we just transitioned fully to Simian/Munki from Filewave so we're a little anxious.

All we need to do is:

  1. check out the newest from git
  2. Copy our existing settings file from our original
  3. do "make test"
  4. do "make release"
Is this correct?  Do we need to backup our original instance on Google Apps before?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but like I said we're pretty anxious with the current switch

Thanks

Chris Whittle | Director of Information Technology
//ThumbDrivenDiction from my Mobile

Justin McWilliams

Aug 26, 2015, 10:12:09 AM8/26/15
to Simian Discuss
The update steps sound right, but I'm not sure what you mean by "backup our original instance on Google Apps"?  You've deployed Simian previously, but only on a testing instance?  Are you upgrading this instance, or provisioning a new one?

Chris Whittle

Aug 27, 2015, 8:42:48 AM8/27/15
to Simian Discuss
I'm upgrading an existing instance, I ask about backup just in case the upgrade would possibly fail.

Justin McWilliams

Aug 27, 2015, 8:52:53 AM8/27/15
to Simian Discuss
The Makefile automatically releases to a version on the server matching the build of Simian you're using: https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/Makefile#L273

So you should be able to rollback to an old version relatively easily if anything breaks: https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/developers-console/#versions

The Datastore is not backed up... we don't do this before releasing, ourselves, but here are docs: https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/adminconsole/datastoreadmin?hl=en

Chris Whittle

Aug 27, 2015, 8:55:06 AM8/27/15
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I just went ahead and pulled the trigger and everything is good.