Unable to install client - ImportError: No module named urllib3

John Meyers

Jun 3, 2017, 3:08:54 PM6/3/17
to Simian Discuss
Hello,

We are trying out Simian for the first time.  I've successfully gotten the Google Cloud component deployed and functioning and build the DMG installer.  However, when executing the preflight test I get:

$ /usr/local/munki/preflight --debug

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/local/munki/simian_client.py", line 35, in <module>

    from simian.mac.client import preflight

  File "/usr/local/munki/simian/lib/python2.7/site-packages/simian-2.5-py2.7.egg/simian/mac/client/preflight.py", line 38, in <module>

    from simian.mac.client import network_detect

  File "/usr/local/munki/simian/lib/python2.7/site-packages/simian-2.5-py2.7.egg/simian/mac/client/network_detect.py", line 25, in <module>

    import requests

  File "/usr/local/munki/simian/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests-2.17.3-py2.7.egg/requests/__init__.py", line 48, in <module>

    import urllib3

ImportError: No module named urllib3

Other diagnostics:

$ pip freeze | grep -i urllib3

urllib3==1.21.1

$ which python

/usr/bin/python

MacOS version: 10.12.5 (Siera)

Any suggestions?

John Meyers

Jun 5, 2017, 4:08:45 PM6/5/17
to Simian Discuss
We've tried this on other Macs as well, and getting the same thing, including 10.9-10.12, and fresh MacOS installs.   Also, the client installer is prompting the user to install Xcode, which is very odd.  Any ideas?

Maxim Ermilov

Jun 5, 2017, 4:10:13 PM6/5/17
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> However, when executing the preflight test I get:

New python-requests stops bundling urllib3.

Thank you for reporting this bug.

_____
Maxim

John Meyers

Jun 5, 2017, 4:56:21 PM6/5/17
to Simian Discuss
Thank you!  I can confirm the client will now install on 10.8 - 10.12!  However, we are still getting the dialog 'The "cc" command requires the comand line developer tools. WOuld you like to install the tools now?' appearing on the clients.  Surely the clients do not need Xcode!

_____
Maxim

Maxim Ermilov

Jun 5, 2017, 5:47:58 PM6/5/17
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
> Surely the clients do not need Xcode!

I just tested this in clean VM, It worked without asking for command line developers tools.
is homebrew installed on machine you tested on?

_____
Maxim

John Meyers

Jun 5, 2017, 5:48:53 PM6/5/17
to Simian Discuss
Nope.  Brand new fresh MacOS install.  Could it be something about the machine used to do the build?

Maxim Ermilov

Jun 5, 2017, 5:59:09 PM6/5/17
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Can you provide installation logs from client?
It will help debug the problem

_____
Maxim

John Meyers

Jun 5, 2017, 6:03:52 PM6/5/17
to Simian Discuss
Thank you!  It is attached.
simian-install.log

Maxim Ermilov

Jun 5, 2017, 6:20:14 PM6/5/17
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
All relevant information is in temp file /tmp/postflight.*.log.
It's automatically removed after installation.
Can you comment out following line https://github.com/google/simian/blob/master/postinstall#L198, rebuild dmg and upload this log file?

Thanks,
Maxim

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 6:03 PM, 'John Meyers' via Simian Discuss <simian-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Thank you!  It is attached.

John Meyers

Jun 5, 2017, 6:29:23 PM6/5/17
to Simian Discuss
Attached.  Thank you so much for the help.  Also ran into another issue (status 411) and opened a new thread on it.  We're just trying to get one client to work.
postflight.201706051825.361.log

Maxim Ermilov

Jun 6, 2017, 12:31:16 PM6/6/17
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
> Attached.

Thank you.

_____
Maxim

John Meyers

Jun 6, 2017, 12:48:48 PM6/6/17
to Simian Discuss
Fix confirmed!  Many thanks!  We are down to the issue of the client not working on 10.9 due to a strange HTTP 411 error (see other thread).

Thank you so much for jumping on these issues and helping us get this out there!