Config Track BROKEN

Michael Holt

Jul 22, 2015, 3:20:24 AM7/22/15
to Simian Discuss
Things are coming together nicely but I'm noticing that Simian is reporting Config Track BROKEN.  What does this mean and what should I do about it (if anything)? Everything appears to be working on the client.

Justin McWilliams

Jul 22, 2015, 7:22:47 AM7/22/15
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Simian looks for a Puppet fact "configtrack", and if it's not present sets the default value to BROKEN: https://github.com/google/simian/blob/fd50692aedf3651aa3ae494d97eb143126ee49d5/src/simian/mac/client/flight_common.py#L475

Maybe we should set this to N/A by default, as not all installs have Puppet...

Thoughts?

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Michael Holt <mh...@reallifechurch.org> wrote:
Things are coming together nicely but I'm noticing that Simian is reporting Config Track BROKEN.  What does this mean and what should I do about it (if anything)? Everything appears to be working on the client.

Michael Holt

Jul 22, 2015, 11:56:19 AM7/22/15
to Simian Discuss
ok makes sense. I have Puppet/Facter set up... is this a facter variable I have to set manually?

Justin McWilliams

Jul 22, 2015, 1:22:22 PM7/22/15
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
configtrack is custom/manual.  A best practice if configuration management is to phase deployment across your fleet.  However you bucket/segment your clients, you can build a Facter fact which exposes which bucket a given client is in, and if exposed as configtrack then Simian can report on that.  Like Site/Location, this doesn't unlock much/any functionality within Simian aside from reporting.