Re: [silverstripe-dev] Abridged summary of silverstripe-dev@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 2 topics

Klemen Novak

Oct 28, 2015, 11:13:05 AM10/28/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, ReactJS sounds like an awesome choice and you have my +1. Out of curiosity - Angular is not a contender?

Do I understand correctly that essentially for SS4 CMS you are decoupling logic/API and the CMS views? Or would integrating React actually mean a heavy rework of what's out there (note I'm not too familiar with state of progress, but felt this was a conversation I wanted to join in). Doing that kind of decoupling, that would mean that integrating angular or another front-end framework could come out of the box.

If intelligently done, SS could integrate pretty rapidly with frameworks like Polymer or Ionic (on the frontend as well). And maybe even be "themable" in a way that up to now was largely impossible (e.g. Polymer, Bootstrap, Material, Foundation themes for backend being relatively a breeze)

We have recently done multiple sites on Ruby/Angular and I keep missing SS's modular approach to building view elements. Essentially we need to build out all the interfaces by hand and I always dream of an angular version of "new Form()".

To finish this off, I think my mentioning of Angular essentially serves as a +1 for ReactJS. If we could somehow bridge the gap and have whatever JS "MVC" framework is the basis for the CMS to receive schema(mode) / form information from the "SS API", then this would open up very exciting possibilities (and possibly a reactive, non-refreshing CMS interface).

Has anyone seen and worked with Meteor? That thing is reactive out of the box.

Klemen Novak
SAG-AFTRA
www.klemennovak.com
310.849.8931

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 7:52 AM, <silverst...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Wilfred Godfrey <wil...@silverstripe.com>: Oct 27 01:53PM -0700

You have my support. React seems to be a better standard UI framework than
most.

On Saturday, 24 October 2015 06:24:04 UTC+13, Will Morgan wrote:
...more
Cam Findlay <c...@silverstripe.com>: Oct 27 01:16PM -0700

Hey Jono, I might look to add this information to a few places:

In the welcome screen after someone signs up for forums (and the email they
get welcoming them so they have it for reference) and ...more

Ronaldo

Oct 28, 2015, 11:34:30 AM10/28/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
We're investing much time at the moment looking into TypeScript, Angular 2 and RxJs (The latter will be integrated in Angular 2 soon) for building modern front-end UI's (Have a look at the Angular Connect conference from last week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzrskTiT_ObAk3xBkVxMz5g ). Using native script you can even 'convert' an Angular 2 app/template to native IOS/Android components (How cool would it be to have 'native' and adaptable mobile app experience for the SS cms?)

Probably we'll use stuff like ionic.io/2 or material design/polymer as the webcomponents parts. Silverstripe here is mostly used as an easy setup to add models to and use a REST interface to get data using some business logic.

Having said all this, I'd vote for having an extendable/adaptable Angular 2 frontent/cms using modern webcomponents where the front-end html and javascript is not generated by php code but by adapting/extending a front-end module containing only javascript.