Dash integration w. SilverStripe

Anselm Christophersen

Nov 12, 2013, 4:42:25 AM11/12/13
to silverstripe-dev
Hi All,
Ingo's been tweeting about the little OSX Docs viewer "Dash" (http://kapeli.com/dash) a little while ago, and I bought it and was pretty impressed. Basically it allows me to have my PHP/jQuery/Compass/etc. docs available offline, instead of having to google. I can see it as a great benefit, especially for the times when I'm travelling, or on a bad internet connection.

We were joking that it could be nice to have the SilverStripe docs available there, and now Will also showed some interest, so I'm outlining my thoughs on it here:

You can read about the required format for a docset here: http://kapeli.com/docsets

API:
It seems that could be easily achieved by running a Doxygen instance somehwhere (see #6)

Docs:
See #7. I'm imagining creating this through a static publisher instance on the ss.org site that creates a static directory of the documentation every night.
We'd also need a task for creating the needed SQLite index - I could see this a good blueprint on how to do that:
https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-docsviewer/blob/master/code/tasks/RebuildLuceneDocsIndex.php

I can't promise I'll have the time to look into this in the near future, but just wanted to present my thoughts on this here, and bounce it off with the community. Does anyone think this is a good idea, and what do you think about the way I'd implement it?

Anselm

Cameron Spiers

Nov 14, 2013, 3:49:22 PM11/14/13
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anselm,

Thanks for mentioning the app. This was the first I heard of it and I'm finding it really useful. I agree that it would be great to have the SilverStripe docs in there too.

--

Cameron Spiers Senior Developer
Ph. 04 831 5130   heyday.co.nz

Heyday is a digital agency based in Wellington, New Zealand. It employs 35 staff and drives the online presence of brands through insight, ideas, design, delivery and improvement. Clients include Weta, Meridian Energy, GIB, Ecoya, ANZ, Trilogy, Gallagher Group and Z Energy. Please visit our website for further information.

Anselm

Jeremy Shipman

Nov 19, 2013, 8:57:15 PM11/19/13
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Dash integration.

Will Rossiter

Jan 19, 2014, 8:45:37 PM1/19/14
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so had a play around and got a basic SilverStripe set

Repo (if you want to contribute features): https://github.com/wilr/SilverStripe.docset

Download (if you just want the docs): https://github.com/wilr/SilverStripe.docset

The pages all look pretty fugly in Dash at the moment. My task for the next couple weeks is to knock up some better designed responsive views for both api.ss and doc.ss which will work a bit better across smaller windows.

Cheers

Ingo Schommer

Jan 20, 2014, 3:16:20 AM1/20/14
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

Awesome! I seem to be too stupid to install them though, what’s the trick?
RTFMed on http://kapeli.com/docsets, no luck.

Will Rossiter

Jan 20, 2014, 3:25:36 AM1/20/14
to SilverStripe Development
Sorry link of the example was http://fullscreen.io/feeds/SilverStripe.xml / http://fullscreen.io/feeds/SilverStripe.docset.tgz

Need to work out a few of the issues (need to tweak some of the styles and base tag for docs) and tidy it up before I get it added in the application list. If you want to add it now, easiest way is to go Dash -> Preferences -> Downloads and click the little plus at the bottom of the page and enter the xml feed above.

Anselm Christophersen

Jan 20, 2014, 6:50:44 AM1/20/14
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, Will.
I tried it out immediately, but can't get it to work either.
I added the xml file, and it was downloaded:
...but it doesn't show under docsets - even after rescanning...

Anselm

Anselm Christophersen

Mar 12, 2014, 7:56:11 PM3/12/14
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I’ve got it to work!
See screenshot:

I had to download http://fullscreen.io/feeds/SilverStripe.docset.tgz, unpack it, open the package contents, and inside there was another package. That package I was able to add to Dash (v. 2.0.1).

Awesome work Will. Now I can bring the SS documentation with me on the train in the weekend.

Will Rossiter

Mar 12, 2014, 10:25:41 PM3/12/14
to SilverStripe Development
Great! May need to tweak my tgz generation script then. I've also pushed changes to both API and docsviewer to make them work better inside dash by using responsive (https://github.com/silverstripe/api.silverstripe.org/commit/d285b69c854f0fee554c585f64b9e1133be6b55e)

Still errors with links and formatting but it was a quick little experiment to see how useful it would be. PR's welcome to make the experience better / actually work :) Doesn't support multiple versions (3.1 vs master) either yet so long todo list.

Anselm Christophersen

Mar 13, 2014, 7:04:36 AM3/13/14
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Is the build script available somewhere?