MySQL - 61 tables in a join means max upper limit of 61 page types

Nick

Mar 26, 2012, 7:09:37 AM3/26/12
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hi,

I have a mature SilverStripe 2.4.2 installation running MySQL which is
multi company and multi country. As a result, we have accumulated 61
page types, all of which are required.

Unfortunately, that is the upper limit for MySQL (Error 1116). The
error is triggered on entering the admin panel.

We are looking at a number of solutions for this issue currently.

We would like to upgrade the site to Silverstripe 3.0, does anyone
know if this will this be resolved in the ORM changes as part of
Silverstripe 3.0?

The second option would be to change to PostGRESQL as this particular
issue is unlikely to occur.

Regards,

Nick

Sam Minnée

Mar 26, 2012, 5:48:48 PM3/26/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Um, I'm not sure if the lazy loading patch made its way into SS3, but it should. This would solve this problem.

Ingo/Hamish/Stig - do you know if lazy loading is in SS3?

Ingo Schommer

Mar 26, 2012, 6:43:09 PM3/26/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hasn't been merged, in my opinion it needs another round of thorough peer review
before it can go in. It's on production sites, but that only means
it satisfies their use cases and ways of accessing the ORM.
There's unit tests, but they're by no means exhaustive.

We should also add a way to opt-out of the behaviour on a query level,
as usage is very context dependent. Sam, you started a ticket here:
http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/6535

I've partially merged back the OP performance fixes,
but don't think the remainder ever went into a topic branch.
I've dug up the patches and created a ticket:
http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/7077

Ingo

Sam Minnée

Mar 26, 2012, 7:27:00 PM3/26/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
OK, then this is something that I think we need to get in before beta2, then. I guess I know what I'm going to be doing easter weekend!

Sigurd Magnusson

Mar 26, 2012, 7:31:31 PM3/26/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Does that mean there'll be an easter egg when you add a 62nd page type?
I expect some HD quality video to pop up in celebration...

Sigurd.

Nick

Mar 27, 2012, 12:15:45 PM3/27/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Guys, if  we get this fixed up, the Easter Eggs are on me!

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

Mar 27, 2012, 4:04:44 PM3/27/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick

Just because you have sixty page classes you dont need to have sixty
tables. Tables are only created when you add new database fields in
the class. Maybe you can move some more common fields down into the
Page or other parent classes? You can then add some code to the
getCMSfields method to hide / show them in the CMS.

When you do that, you will have to manually move the data in the
database and remove the old fields / tables.

Hope that helps.

Nicolaas

Nick

Mar 28, 2012, 12:04:58 PM3/28/12
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hey Nicolaas,

That could work in some circumstances - and if we go for a refactor I
will definitely assess the page types with one or two fields and see
if I can make the field names more generic. However, most of our page
types have relatively complex pages with a number of fields.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Nick

On Mar 27, 9:04 pm, Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

Sam Minnée

Apr 22, 2012, 11:35:17 PM4/22/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hey, following up on this, Robert Curry is working on some fixes for 3.0 that will sort this out.

If you want to track progress, check out these two tickets:

Sam Minnée

May 2, 2012, 5:27:58 PM5/2/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
This is fixed now.

mikenz

Jun 18, 2012, 12:18:58 AM6/18/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ingo,

At AirNZ we've just hit the same issue but are in no position to move to SS3 so need to patch post-2.4. Are you able to send through any of the 2.4 patches that you've put into production sites? Especially if you've got a patched Hierarchy.php?

Is anyone else working on backporting this patch 2.4 or post-2.4?

Thanks

- Mike

Mat Weir

Dec 5, 2012, 5:44:07 PM12/5/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

Was a 2.4 patch ever developed?

Cheers,

Mat Weir

mikenz

Dec 9, 2012, 7:19:16 PM12/9/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat,

We have a post-2.4 patch fully tested and working here (along with a lot of other patches) I'll try get them cleaned up this week and all up on my github forks https://github.com/mikenz/

I'm pretty sure we have patches for sapphire, CMS, subsites and CMSWorkflow to get it all playing nice.

- Mike

Mat Weir

Dec 9, 2012, 7:22:10 PM12/9/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike, that'd be a huge help.

Mat Weir

Mat Weir
South Inc. Queenstown Innovation Centre
Level 2, Bradleys Building, Cow Lane, Queenstown
P.O. Box 2498, Wakatipu, New Zealand

mikenz

Dec 10, 2012, 6:08:34 PM12/10/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat,

There's a lot of white space changes in there - we strip trailing whitespace here, silverstripe devs don't. But you should be able to find the real change if it doesn't merge cleanly for you.

In the end it doesn't seem that I had any related changes to the other components (cms, workflow etc) but it's tested against them all.

- Mike

Mat Weir

Dec 10, 2012, 6:25:14 PM12/10/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike, we'll let you know how we get on. Appreciate it.

Mat Weir

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/silverstripe-dev/-/nAmAa8kL2wUJ.