New SS documentation site

Uncle Cheese

Oct 14, 2014, 7:14:47 PM10/14/14
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Will Rossiter has been getting his hands dirty with a rewrite of the SS docs section, improving not only the content, but also the look-and-feel. We're looking to release it within the next month, but before we do that, we need your feedback, so please check it out and let us know how it suits you.

Needless to say, this doesn't address the deficit in the volume of documentation, but our hope is that you can see that this is a platform that will be much more conducive to growing more and higher quality written documentation.

Will Rossiter

Oct 14, 2014, 7:32:35 PM10/14/14
to SilverStripe Development
If anyone hasn't read the blog article outlining my plans the link is http://www.silverstripe.org/blog/progressing-the-silverstripe-documentation-where-to-next/ that outlines the steps.

The trello board is a great place to get an overview as well (https://trello.com/b/y32uSVM1/silverstripe-documentation). Everything relating to the docs is public.

Keen to hear from anyone interested in helping out. At this rate guides are taking me about a day to review, rewrite and clean up so at least several more weeks to get through all 15 guides. For example, some of the guides that have been reviewed include

Jonathon Menz

Mar 6, 2015, 12:46:11 PM3/6/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
The updated Developer Guides and new Lessons are looking awesome guys, love your work.

I was just wondering if it might be good to add a 'Troubleshooting' section to the dev guides which could cover common problems and gotchas developers run in to. These would be issues which are not a fault of the framework but are caused by developer error or a problem with the server environment and cause much banging of heads against walls. This classic article contains the type of content I'm talking about, and it could be a good place to give advice about things like problems with Suhosin or the need to manually remove caches when changing PHP versions.

Could perhaps save a lot of time for some people and provide a place to store fixes for issues that can't be solved with a pull request.