Can we have some more 'react/webpack & modules' lessons/documentation?

Michael van Schaik

Apr 30, 2018, 2:20:34 AM4/30/18
to silverstripe-d.
It'd be really helpful if there'd be a step-by-step SilverStripe-specific guide/lesson which would cover the creation of a module which hooks into the existing ecosystem (yarn/webpack-expose/react/etc).

I've been trying to update some modules to SilverStripe 4; the PHP side of things is well documented & no problem to figure out.
But I find the new front-end ecosystem (yarn/webpack/react etc) *very* hard to get into.

This is partially due to me comfortably sticking with jQuery & Entwine for too long (& bower/npm etc), and I'm not suggesting to write another introduction into react/webpack etc.
But I'm also now finding myself unable to get even the basics up & running when going through the available documentation, eg https://docs.silverstripe.org/en/4/developer_guides/customising_the_admin_interface/reactjs_redux_and_graphql/ (by the way, a lot of the in-content links are dead).

Specific issues which I'd like to have some guidance with;
  • How to set up a decent (front-end) environment for developing a SilverStripe module (realy the basics, like what build-tool builds what, what config file configures what, etc)
    (I got started based on praxisnetau/silverstripe-module-starter, but cannot even get the basic examples from the reactjs developer guide to run because none of the imports seem to be found) (I've also found silverstripe/webpack-config, should I base modules on that instead? and how exactly?)
  • What parts/modules are 'exposed' for re-use via webpack, and how does this work?
  • What style of JS can be used where in the CMS (can react be used also on the areas that still run on jQuery/Entwine, or can these not be mixed?) (and what area uses what library, does it make sense to update modules ahead of the admin-area switching to react?)
  • How would I do basic stuff, like open a modal containing a form?
    Eg BetterButtons 'nestedforms' in a 'react style' modal (not the modal with the red 'X' at the top-right)?
    Or Shea's QuickAddNew form, with regular form or using react-forms?
Hope this is (still) the right place to reach SilverStripe devs, as the list seems a bit quiet lately :)

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken

May 1, 2018, 7:09:07 PM5/1/18
to silverstripe-dev
+1

::nadeeth::

May 2, 2018, 9:03:31 PM5/2/18
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
+1

Al Twohill

May 5, 2018, 11:31:20 PM5/5/18
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Not so much a guide/lesson but I wrote up about my first project using react & silverstripe

https://al.twohill.nz/2018/SilverStripe-React-GraphQL/

If you want to know more about anything in particular, feel free to ping me.

Cheers Al

+1

Ingo Schommer

May 7, 2018, 4:44:05 PM5/7/18
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hello Michael, thanks for sharing, it's really good for us to hear what's missing in terms of features and docs!

I think those docs need a restructure, and you're right about needing more "starter pack" type info.
I've tried to capture this in https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-framework/issues/7043, it's in our backlog.
If you happen to work through this on your own, we'd really appreciate help with this type of documentation,
it's not very high on the list at the moment - too much to do :(

On a related note, we've got three weeks of a full-time dev (most likely @unclecheese) booked in for this over the next few months already.
The working title for this is "Developer Tutorial On Building Api-driven Features With Silverstripe 4",
which will be mostly documentation, but could also involve building out one of the existing sample apps around this.

https://github.com/chillu/silverstripe-graphql-react-demo-app
https://github.com/unclecheese/dogapp-backend
https://github.com/unclecheese/dogapp-frontend
https://github.com/Firesphere/silverstripe-headless-ionic

Please leave comments on that issue if you have ideas on how to structure this.
It's a Zenhub.io epic, if you install the Zenhub browser extension you'll be able to see
a list of issues related to this epic (currently none).