Watch out, 4.0.0-alpha1 is nigh!

Ingo Schommer

Apr 28, 2016, 8:03:15 PM4/28/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

After quite a few months of development by SilverStripe Ltd. and the SilverStripe community, we're getting close to a first product milestone: 4.0.0-alpha1. It is intended as a preview for interested developers and users. The release will show off a lot of groundwork for the new CMS UI architecture, as well as new PHP APIs.

We are expecting to release alpha1 around the 10th of May (which is the end of our current open source sprint).

At this point, we're also actively looking for contributions to make sure we get into the beta stage quickly - there's lots of work remaining! In particular:
- Test out the new "Campaigns" and "Files" sections
- Test the asset abstraction and changesets PHP APIs
- Refactor existing CSS to Bootstrap and our new component-based CSS Conventions
- Help us get react-bootstrap into core (and use it to create new ReactJS-based forms)
- Create smaller features in the new "Files" section, in shiny new ES6 and ReactJS code (check our JS Conventions and the updated CMS Architecture Guide)
We're still working on documenting the build tooling, so feel free to hit us up on Github comments or IRC if anything is unclear.

Check the Github milestones to identify where you can help:

We've previously blogged about what's coming up in 4.0:

The alpha1 release contains the implementation of quite a few RFC proposals:

More RFCs are currently under discussion for further 4.0 features:

Thanks
Ingo