Docs freeze?

Cam Findlay

Dec 8, 2014, 10:56:15 PM12/8/14
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
We are hoping to roll out the new docs proper on the docs.silverstipe.org domain early next week - there is a bit of rebasing, merging etc to be done to move all our work back into the main repositories.

I wonder if it would be good for us to hold off on documentation pull requests and merges for the time being until we get this rolled out live (date would be around the 15/16th Dec)? Should help us stabilise the work and get it all back into the 3.1, 3 and master branches.

At worst if we get any docs PR's they might just need to be rebased once the new docs are live.

Cam Findlay

Dec 16, 2014, 6:07:55 PM12/16/14
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
The work on the docs is now merged into 3.1 branch so you should now be able to do pull requests for docs building on top of the new information structure.

Final live deploy coming soon.

Cam Findlay

Jan 20, 2015, 3:48:43 PM1/20/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Just an update, we are looking at going live with the new documentation site today, there may be periods when the docs are unavailable while we deploy and pull in the new markdown docs source and rebuild the search index.

I'll update once we are all live and operational.

Thanks :)

Cam Findlay

Jan 20, 2015, 5:01:48 PM1/20/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
And we are live!

Matthew Bonner

Jan 21, 2015, 11:10:29 AM1/21/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
The updates appear to have broken URL's, one example is when running sake you get the following message:
"Please specify an argument to cli-script.php/sake. For more information, visit http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/topics/commandline"

But the link no longer works...
http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/topics/commandline

I'm not sure if this is related to the work done, or a bug as I've not checked due to time constraints sorry.

Cam Findlay

Jan 21, 2015, 1:18:35 PM1/21/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Matthew, thanks for reporting much appreciated.

There will no doubt be some burning-in to do given the major rework of the URL structure of the new docs site. We have an htaccess file performing most of the redirections that Ingo (@chillu) created so it looks like even with best efforts this one has perhaps not had a redirect put in place.

We had a pull request to correct some of the redirects from the community yesterday which was great to see (and I'm keen to rapidly deploy improvements as they come through pull requests and get merged).
If you would like and you beat me to it (I'm replying to this out of the office at the moment), here is the htaccess https://github.com/silverstripe/doc.silverstripe.org/blob/master/.htaccess, please see if this particular issue isn't included and feel free to add/improve and fire a pull request my way, we'll test it and get it live asap.

Additionally for extra community kudos, perhaps the link in the sake tool could be updated https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-framework/blob/3.1/cli-script.php? ;)

I'll check in with you once I get into the office incase you had already started some work on this, if you haven't I'll get on it.

Cam Findlay

Jan 21, 2015, 2:46:50 PM1/21/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hey Matthew,

Just got into office and looking at this now.

Appears commandline has a rewrite and this was incorrectly trying to redirect 'reference/commandline' when it is actually at 'topics/commandline' - always had trouble with differences between reference and topics in the old docs seems that caught us out even when updating to the new ones!

Fix in the code now, will test and deploy today.

Thanks again for tracking that bug down.

Further... I'll go update sake too, it can't hurt to have the correct direct line in there.