Seeking SilverStripe experts

Uncle Cheese

Jan 29, 2015, 4:00:14 PM1/29/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
tldr; I need people to review my written tutorials before they get published.

Hey, guys,

As you may know, I've been quite busy at SS Ltd building out a new section of silverstripe.org that will deliver comprehensive educational resources on learning SilverStripe (http://silverstripe.org/learn/lessons). So far, we've only got a handful of tutorials, but the response from the community, particularly among noobs, has been really positive, and we're quite keen to keep cranking these out so we can get on to more advanced topics.

I'm reaching out to all of you because I really want to add some peer review to the process of creating and delivering these lessons. As the saying goes, "those who can't do teach." While I know I can very well do most of the stuff I'm teaching, I'm humble enough to see that I don't enjoy the caliber of expertise exhibited by many of you folks. A lot of times my written tutorials may include factual errors (e.g. does /dev/build flush the template cache, too?) or poorly illustrated concepts (e.g. controllers contain business logic). Having an expert review what I write would grossly improve the quality of the lessons.

Here's how I envision it working: Around mid-week, I post a link to a shared Google Doc to a given group of people, and you write up your comments/feedback/revisions by a certain date. (We try to maintain a tight schedule so that lessons are delivered in a predictable pattern). If you're not keen that week, you can certainly opt out, but I'm hoping that by having a decent sized list, we can be sure to get at least one person to review per week.

Typically lessons are < 1,000 words, so the total time commitment would be about 30 minutes per week. And again, you're always free to abstain.

Anyone who is interested, please let me know, and certainly if you have any better ideas on how this might work, I'd love to hear.

Cheers.

Colin Burns

Jan 29, 2015, 4:38:04 PM1/29/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I'd be keen to help out. I am certainly not the expert you're looking for but I would probably be more representative of the target audience ;)

Cheers,
Colin

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Mansi

Jan 29, 2015, 7:17:36 PM1/29/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'd be happy to help out.

Regards,
Mansi

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

Jan 29, 2015, 7:21:06 PM1/29/15
to silverstripe-dev
+1

Richard Rudy

Jan 29, 2015, 7:22:48 PM1/29/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone

Martine bloem

Jan 30, 2015, 4:47:41 AM1/30/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
+1

Martine

Marijn Kampf

Jan 30, 2015, 5:13:46 AM1/30/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
+1

Marijn Kampf
Exadium - Online Marketing & Web Development
mar...@exadium.com / www.exadium.com

Shaun de Greeff

Jan 30, 2015, 6:20:08 AM1/30/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

Count me in

clyons

Jan 30, 2015, 10:16:53 AM1/30/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Happy to help as I can.

fran

Jan 30, 2015, 11:28:37 AM1/30/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
i can take a look ;)

off...@netwerkstatt.at

Jan 30, 2015, 12:58:40 PM1/30/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

I’d like to help out!

Cheers,

Werner

Fred Condo

Jan 30, 2015, 1:02:23 PM1/30/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Sure. Count me it.

Florian Thoma

Jan 30, 2015, 4:35:16 PM1/30/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
+1 Happy to help.

Nic Horstmeier

Jan 30, 2015, 4:57:43 PM1/30/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
+1

Stevie Mayhew

Feb 1, 2015, 3:28:26 PM2/1/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Happy to look over this stuff for you Aaron :)

Uncle Cheese

Feb 1, 2015, 5:18:49 PM2/1/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, everyone. You'll all be getting an email soon.

Uncle Cheese

Feb 2, 2015, 9:19:51 PM2/2/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, my bad. Apparently the group doesn't expose any of your email addresses. Could each of your who are still keen please email me at aa...@silverstripe.com, with a subject line that contains your favourite beer and optionally, your favourite 80s movie.

Thanks.

Anselm Christophersen

Feb 3, 2015, 8:46:08 AM2/3/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
I can see all the email adresses just fine in Apple Mail - see attachement.

Anselm

Michael Nowina-Krowicki

Feb 3, 2015, 2:55:43 PM2/3/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
+1 Happy to help

Martimiz

Feb 20, 2015, 5:19:13 AM2/20/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi UC,

Congrats for yet another couple of great tutorials! You're the best :)

Sorry, I failed to notice that lessons 10 and 11 were already on their way! Did I miss something or do you not send notice when another lesson is ready for review - in which case we just scan the repo? Or is it just that you have enough reviewers already? Either way is absolutely fine, I just thought I'd ask :)

Martine

Aaron Carlino

Feb 20, 2015, 6:30:37 AM2/20/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Martine. I was pretty rammed this week, so I just did a really informal review with a few folks. But next lesson I’ll get back into the groove.

Aaron Carlino | SilverStripe Evangelist
SilverStripe
http://silverstripe.com/

Skype: aaroncarlino.silverstripe