MySQL - support for MariaDB server - Ubuntu 12.10

siever...@gmail.com

May 18, 2013, 8:49:50 AM5/18/13
to sil...@googlegroups.com
I was unable to compile SilkJS because I use MariaDB and package libmysqlclient-dev is therefore not installed.  Okay, no problem, I simply uninstalled MariaDB and re-installed MySQL.  After compilation, I reversed the process (I have not come across a client yet which balked at connecting to MariaDB instead of MySQL).  Now SilkJS runs successfully, everything in working order.  However, require('MySQL') and require('builtin/mysql') both return empty objects.

Does anyone else have experience with issues regarding replacing MySQL with MariaDB?  Is there a way to alias the *mariadb* packages to *mysql* or something along those lines?

Michael Schwartz

May 18, 2013, 10:18:36 AM5/18/13
to sil...@googlegroups.com
I made the one API breaking change a while back.

It's require('MySQL').MySQL.

The reason is that I added Oracle support and that requires a separate version of Schema.js.  So my change allows require('MySQL').MySQL and require('MySQL').Schema or require('Oracle').Oracle and require('Oracle').Schema

I hope that helps.

Also, installing libmysqlclient-dev shouldn't force you to uninstall MariaDB.  I've not used MariaDB, though, so I'm just speculating.

On May 18, 2013, at 5:49 AM, siever...@gmail.com wrote:

I was unable to compile SilkJS because I use MariaDB and package libmysqlclient-dev is therefore not installed.  Okay, no problem, I simply uninstalled MariaDB and re-installed MySQL.  After compilation, I reversed the process (I have not come across a client yet which balked at connecting to MariaDB instead of MySQL).  Now SilkJS runs successfully, everything in working order.  However, require('MySQL') and require('builtin/mysql') both return empty objects.

Does anyone else have experience with issues regarding replacing MySQL with MariaDB?  Is there a way to alias the *mariadb* packages to *mysql* or something along those lines?

siever...@gmail.com

May 18, 2013, 10:25:14 AM5/18/13
to sil...@googlegroups.com
Indeed require('MySQL').MySQL works as promised, thank you!

I have had mixed experiences installing MariaDB... once it's installed everything works perfectly, but even within the same Ubuntu version I have occasionally had to use various esoteric techniques to get it to install correctly from packages.