Founder Friday in Melbourne on 6 May (a female-focused event)

Kate Kendall

Apr 24, 2011, 6:28:09 AM4/24/11
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

I just wanted to post this event in the odd chance there are female entrepreneurs and startup founders lurking here.

When I was in San Francisco, I came across the Women 2.0 organisation whose mission is to increase the number of female founders of technology startups. They're also associated with Founder Labs – a pre-incubator for mobile startups. Considering we've got the global Startup Weekend coming up in Melbourne, I thought it would be nice if we held Australia's first Founder Friday (female-focused networking drinks) beforehand.

It's on Friday 6 May, from 5.30pm at Duck Duck Goose in QV.

More information at Eventbrite --> http://founderfridaymelbourne.eventbrite.com/

(You can also save $20 off Startup Weekend Melbourne using "Women2" promo code.)

Men are most welcome at the event. Founder Friday isn't about exclusivity – more about balancing the ratio and recognising a community.

P.S. I'm neither associated with Startup Weekend nor Women 2.0 – simply hosting the Melbourne event!

Roger Kermode

Apr 24, 2011, 6:36:06 AM4/24/11
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kate,

Have you heard of Heads over Heels? Fantastic mentoring group for women owned / led businesses currently HQ'd in Sydney. I know the founders would live to chat with you re Melbourne opportunities....

Cheers,

Roger

Sent from my iPhone
silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

Kate Kendall

Apr 25, 2011, 7:06:02 AM4/25/11
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
I keep across most of the women networks but haven't heard of that one so thanks for sharing. To be honest, I can't stand the names and novelty sentiment concerned with most of them. I find it a little patronising. I also don't care for a goodie bag or cupcake if I go to an event. But hey, this one might be different.

Although currently a niche area, I've been trying to increase the interest and number of women in (and founding) technology- or web-based startups.

Sharing stuff through the @womenhack account for now...

Cheers,

Kate

Kate Kendall

May 1, 2011, 5:36:16 AM5/1/11
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
In relation to this topic – someone wanted to know examples of female founders in Australia so I put a bit of list together. It's far from exhaustive or finely tuned, but a good place to start.

Full post here: http://bit.ly/lEZuaa

Let me know if there's anyone else to add!

Tagmotion

May 1, 2011, 7:42:48 AM5/1/11
to Silicon Beach Australia
Michelle Deaker, One Ventures (founder E Com): http://www.one-ventures.com/one_team.html

Tagmotion

May 1, 2011, 7:58:05 AM5/1/11
to Silicon Beach Australia
Here's a few more thanks to Rachel Slattery's Slattery's Watch:
Laurel Papworth, Online Communities Strategist, World Communities;
Samantha Brett, Blogger, ASK SAM;
Danielle Lehrer, Founder & CEO, GoShout Pty Ltd;
Liesl Capper, CEO & Co-founder, My Cybertwin;
Sara Goldstein, Co-founder, Mybargainqueen.com.

Also, from the recent Sydstart:........
Kate Cass, founder Scan2list: kc...@scan2list.com.au

Jonathan Clarke

May 1, 2011, 9:53:34 AM5/1/11
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Lucy McFadden - co-founder of Deal Pinch ( Australia & NZ Daily deal aggregation )

Rob Manson

May 1, 2011, 7:16:41 PM5/1/11
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Alex Young from MOB is one of the smartest and hardest working
co-founders I've ever seen...male or female.

#biasedbuthonest 8)

roBman

Rob Manson

May 1, 2011, 7:26:46 PM5/1/11
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah...and at that same level there's also:

Silvia Pfeiffer, co-founder of vquence (among other things).

And Maxine Sherrin, co-founder of Web Directions and all of the other
amazing events that they organise.

All 3 of them having been shaping our industry for years!

roBman

Tagmotion

May 2, 2011, 3:45:42 AM5/2/11
to Silicon Beach Australia
Two more (who presented at last year's Sydney Bloggers' Festival):
1. Jackie Maxted - Beauty Heaven
2. Juliet Potter - Auto Chic

Matthew Ho

May 2, 2011, 4:58:51 PM5/2/11
to Silicon Beach Australia
Hey Kate & others,

I read this blog by Jean Hsu, she used to work at Google which I found
via Hacker News. She wrote a post the other day about females in
computing and how she got into it.

http://www.jeanhsu.com/2011/05/01/i-learned-to-program/

Two interesting comments on her post:

1. Most female contributors' experiences were very different, and
seemed to be mostly about learning to program in a high school or
college class or getting introduced to programming through another
interest (design, biology, music, etc).

2. At the same time, I can't help but think of the many women who fell
through the cracks (what the book refers to as the "leaky pipeline")
because they felt like they didn't have enough experience, and
couldn't catch up with their mostly male peers (of course, this
probably applies to many men without previous programming experience
as well).

She also references this book called "Unlocking the clubhouse: Women
in computing" which might be relevant to you.

http://www.amazon.com/Unlocking-Clubhouse-Computing-Jane-Margolis/dp/0262632691/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

Avis M

May 3, 2011, 1:44:55 AM5/3/11
to Silicon Beach Australia
shameless plug...you can include me...

Avis Mulhall, Co-Founder, www.mmmule.com (online community bringing
locals & travellers together, launching July), http://twitter.com/#!/avismulhall

On May 3, 6:58 am, Matthew Ho <matt.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Kate & others,
>
> I read this blog by Jean Hsu, she used to work at Google which I found
> via Hacker News. She wrote a post the other day about females in
> computing and how she got into it.
>
> http://www.jeanhsu.com/2011/05/01/i-learned-to-program/
>
> Two interesting comments on her post:
>
> 1. Most female contributors' experiences were very different, and
> seemed to be mostly about learning to program in a high school or
> college class or getting introduced to programming through another
> interest (design, biology, music, etc).
>
> 2. At the same time, I can't help but think of the many women who fell
> through the cracks (what the book refers to as the "leaky pipeline")
> because they felt like they didn't have enough experience, and
> couldn't catch up with their mostly male peers (of course, this
> probably applies to many men without previous programming experience
> as well).
>
> She also references this book called "Unlocking the clubhouse: Women
> in computing" which might be relevant to you.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Unlocking-Clubhouse-Computing-Jane-Margolis/dp/...

Graham Carey

May 3, 2011, 2:42:43 AM5/3/11
to Silicon Beach Australia
There is also Mary Brittain-White from Retriever Communications
(http://www.retrievercommunications.com/) who started Retriever using
the SaaS model prior to 2000.

On Apr 24, 8:28 pm, Kate Kendall <kendall.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to post this event in the odd chance there are female
> entrepreneurs and startup founders lurking here.
>
> When I was in San Francisco, I came across the Women 2.0<http://www.women2.org>organisation whose mission is to increase the number of female founders of
> technology startups. They're also associated with Founder Labs<http://www.founderlabs.org>– a pre-incubator for mobile startups. Considering we've got the global Startup
> Weekend <http://melbourne.startupweekend.org> coming up in Melbourne, I
> thought it would be nice if we held Australia's first Founder Friday
> (female-focused networking drinks) beforehand.
>
> It's on Friday 6 May, from 5.30pm at Duck Duck Goose in QV.
>
> More information at Eventbrite -->http://founderfridaymelbourne.eventbrite.com/
>
> (You can also save $20 off Startup Weekend Melbourne using "Women2" promo
> code.)
>
> <http://founderfridaymelbourne.eventbrite.com/>Men are most welcome at the

Kate Kendall

May 3, 2011, 7:16:25 AM5/3/11
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt. Will take a look.

I always try to keep across great content on the subject matter, and for anyone else interested – there's quite a collection of 'women+tech' links in my Delicious here: http://bit.ly/lkAmBA

Kate Kendall

Oct 30, 2011, 6:43:06 AM10/30/11
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, bumping this post to let you know I've organised another diversity discount for the upcoming Startup Weekend Melbourne. If you haven't booked a ticket yet, use the discount code 'women2' to receive $20 off. No Founder Friday this time around, but happy to meet with some first-timers beforehand to do a bit of induction and nerves squashing session.

Cheers,

Kate