Hopp til første uleste melding

Leigh

ulest,
2. apr. 2015, 07:37:1902.04.2015
til silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

We’re announcing an exciting, national, innovation challenge for budding Australian entrepreneurs developing next generation products in Health and Wellbeing.

www.rumpusoz.com

We’re inviting innovators, creatives and entrepreneurs to introduce their amazing concepts to the world!

Working with our experienced film crew, your journey will be documented in a 6-part observational documentary produced for online and television, to help promote you and your venture internationally.

Our objective is to showcase the next generation of sensational products and services that respond to the international challenge of Health and Wellbeing.

Software, hardware, physical products, craft or services, all of which appeals to a broad audience.

By participating in the challenge, you will work with us for 6-months in a virtual, accelerator program, coordinated out of Little Tokyo Two (Brisbane), Fishburners (Sydney) and either i9 or York Butter Factory (Melbourne).

Successful applicants will be filmed while receiving the support of experienced mentors, senior advisors and investors to help validate, build, broadcast and garner sales and investment for your concepts.

You will also be provided the opportunity to pitch to investors for seed capital to help grow and stabilize your new venture.

We're now calling for interested ventures and entrepreneurs. Applications close 3rd May 2015 https://www.f6s.com/rumpusozchallenge#/apply

Program commences 30th June 2015. Applications open to consumer based concepts only, in response to the Heath and Wellbeing innovation challenge.

An information session about the Challenge will be held at the following locations and date:

Information Sessions:

Brisbane: 14 April, 5:00pm, Cook Medical http://www.meetup.com/Healthtech-Queensland-Meetup/

Melbourne: 15 April, 5:30pm, Inspire9, Large South Room, Melbourne, http://www.meetup.com/startuphealthtech/

Sydney: 16 April, 4:30pm, Fisherburners, Sydney | no rego required

and

16 April; 6:00pm, Hall Chadwick Level 40, 2 Park Street, Sydney | Register at the Sydney Healthtech Meetup http://www.meetup.com/Health-Tech-Sydney/events/221339160/

Hugh Stephens

ulest,
6. apr. 2015, 06:23:0506.04.2015
til silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
FYI for those interested (I was curious what the terms were), from their FAQ

In the first round of participation, we do not invest capital. We invest up to $40K in services and broadcast time to support your concept on our online channel as well as prepare you for a crowd funding campaign via our channel partners. In return, we accept 7% equity. During the shortlisting, we may also invest up to $40K in cash for a further 7%.

FWIW I personally take a bit of an issue taking "challenge" to mean "incubator" – 'challenge' brings to mind NSW Transport etc (which may or may not have prize $ involved, but nothing in the way of equity). It could just be me being a comms wonk but it does help (me at least) understand the goals of the program, which seem to be quite different to "promoting good ideas/innovation | showing entrepreneurial journeys" which was what I first thought it must have been.

Regardless, best of luck – will be interesting to see the types of technology generated and the journeys portrayed.

Hugh

Geoff Langdale

ulest,
6. apr. 2015, 16:55:4406.04.2015
til silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
So after the kerfuffle over Disrupt@Scale (75K for 30%), the torrid pace of innovation in startup terms continues: we appear to have not one but two different arrangements - $0K for 7% or $40K for 14%.

Just once I would enjoy being surprised on the high side by a program ("Oh, wow, those are generous terms").

Brian Dorricott

ulest,
6. apr. 2015, 21:33:4606.04.2015
til silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Geoff,

Be fair – RumpuzOz is offering $40K for 7% and $80K for 14% which is twice as much as Disrupt@Scale ($75K for 30%). They both expect a significant portion of the money to be spent with them rather than outside.

And perhaps thinking about organisations as businesses in their own right is a better way to think of these opportunities. We are seeing offers from start-ups who are trying to make a living in the market of “Business Incubation”… they are innovating by creating a catchy name, using different equity v. money ratios, leveraging the connections of their backers, etc.

I think the more the merrier as long as the people who accept the deals have the knowledge and capability to understand the implications of the terms of the agreements they will be signing.

Regards,

Brian

FYI for those interested (I was curious what the terms were), HYPERLINK "http://www.rumpusoz.com/faqs/"from their FAQ

FWIW I personally take a bit of an issue taking "challenge" to mean "incubator" – 'challenge' brings to mind HYPERLINK "https://www.digitalpulse.pwc.com.au/open-innovation-real-time-train-apps/"NSW Transport etc (which may or may not have prize $ involved, but nothing in the way of equity). It could just be me being a comms wonk but it does help (me at least) understand the goals of the program, which seem to be quite different to "promoting good ideas/innovation | showing entrepreneurial journeys" which was what I first thought it must have been.

On Thursday, 2 April 2015 22:37:19 UTC+11, Leigh wrote:

[...]

Forum rules

To post to this group, send email to
HYPERLINK "mailto:silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com"silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
HYPERLINK "mailto:silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com"silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Silicon Beach Australia" group.

Geoff Langdale

ulest,
7. apr. 2015, 08:48:3407.04.2015
til silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
$40K of free "services and broadcast time" is not even remotely equivalent to $40K in cash to be spent on whatever a startup thinks is most critical. You can't add that to $40K of cash and arrive at a number that is remotely meaningful.

It's not $40K of software development. It's not $40K of "room and board and free office space". It's $40K worth of something that almost no early stage startup I've ever heard of has spent any serious money on. It might as well be $40K worth of dog grooming or marching band hire.

Further, the startups are essentially paying 7% of their equity to provide free content for this "platform". It's like paying to be on reality TV.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Silicon Beach Australia" group.

Aaron Christiansen

ulest,
8. apr. 2015, 23:24:4508.04.2015
til silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Or paying Apple to be able to write software for their platform so they can sell said software and keep 30% of the proceeds. Or photography competitions that charge entry then make and sell a book with the best shots.

I personally think if you can get on that business model bandwagon you should grab it with both hands and run with it.

Matthew Ho

ulest,
9. apr. 2015, 07:05:1909.04.2015
til silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Yeah the 30% sucks - its for Apple, Google Play, Amazon & some other android platforms. I've got apps on all those platforms. Seems to be the standard though. I'd love to know the rationale behind charging 30%. Its the nominated price for global distribution to every handset :) Except for the countries those platforms are not in or where paid apps are not available. They could consider a sliding charge based on how much revenue you make or the price of the app.

From reading the above posts, why would anyone give 7% of their company for a webisode documentary and support for a crowdfunding campaign? It doesn't even compare to the 30% fee that apple keeps. They at least have a global distribution channel. Also, its proceeds i.e. revenue. Not equity in your company. I don't understand the rationale behind the offer from rumpusoz

Cheers,
Matt Ho

simran

ulest,
9. apr. 2015, 19:17:4609.04.2015
til silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Google's only 20%, but the differentiating part is that you can install apk/android apps without going through the google play store - with apple, you have to jailbreak... hence, apple is a protection racket, while google giving you the option is a marketing channel...

Google could charge 99% and i'd still be happy (as it's our choice to use them or not)... apple could charge 1% and it would still be a protection racket because of what they allow vs don't allow you do to without them...

For more options, visit this group at

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Silicon Beach Australia" group.

Ash Angell

ulest,
9. apr. 2015, 19:56:1009.04.2015
til silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Apple might be like living in a communist country.  But at least the streets are clean and the trains always run on time.

#my2c

Ash

simran

ulest,
9. apr. 2015, 20:39:1509.04.2015
til silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
not sure how that analogy stands :) but here's something that should keep iCultists busy for a while: http://roadlesstravelled.me/2015/04/06/why-steve-jobs-motivated-me-to-quit-apple/ (recent blog post (less than a week old) about an aussie that used to work in apple and his experience; which i suspect reflect the culture of many large organisations in general as well)

Leigh

ulest,
10. apr. 2015, 02:14:2210.04.2015
til silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
The RumpusOz crew plan to work with each of the shortlisted teams for a month before they, or we commit.  Plenty of time for even the most naive to understand the value and commitment, before signing the dotted line.

As organisers and founders, we kind of made a pact to work hard with our teams, and as a collective, try to be as successful as possible, appreciating that this is a slightly different approach and untested format. Note, we're not really desiring to be in the business of trying to fleece the unsuspecting.

RumpusOz have information sessions in each of the states, feel free to come down and ask questions about the process and terms: http://www.rumpusoz.com/key-dates/

Geoff L, you're encouraged to remain where you are.

Svar alle
Svar til forfatter
Videresend
0 nye meldinger