Invite to take part in survey on how organisations use data / analytics

Roger Kermode

Aug 28, 2016, 10:32:44 PM8/28/16
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

TLDR

I’d like to ask you all a favour that should take no more than 10 minutes to take a survey that’s designed to pull apart how organisations actually use data and analytics to get ahead (or not) in the face of increasing competition (https://www.aiia.com.au/influence-And-leadership/topics/data-and-analytics)  and if you do to pass it on to your colleagues as well

The survey is anonymous (any responses provided will not be linked back to you) and if you do provide responses you can opt in to get a copy of the aggregated responses by providing your email at the end of the survey.

Background

Over the past 18 months I’ve been having conversations here with Banks, Telcos, Retailers and Government as well as with folks on both coasts of the US. During these conversations it’s become clear that a lot of people get that you need to be smart on how you use data / analytics to win, however there’s still a lot of businesses (large and small) that struggle.

So to work out what is going on we’re running a survey that seeks to answer two questions:
  1. Why do some businesses do a better job of this than others? and
  2. Where are the opportunities / threats to watch out for?
The survey is being run by the Data and Analytics Special Interest Group in the Australian Information Industry Association and is designed to have a very broad remit, it targets
  • Organisations in all industries in Australia and Overseas
  • People at all levels inside an organisation (Board, C-Suite, Snr Manager, Manager, Staff)
  • Startups through to Enterprise
A bunch of organsiations are on board to support this effort that’s growing daily (Advance, CPA Australia, Data61, FINSIA, UTS (Faculty of Engineering and IT + Business School so far). With their support we’re aiming to get the survey in front of over 100,000 people and hoping to get over 1,000 responses.

More details on the drivers as well as a link to the survey which is open now and runs to September 16th can be found here:

If you do take the survey, please pass it on to your colleagues as well.

cheers,

Roger Kermode

Sep 29, 2016, 11:46:27 PM9/29/16
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

We’ve extended the response period for the AIIA Survey on Data & Analytics and will be keeping it open until October 7th

If you take the survey (responses are completely anonymous) you can opt-in to receive the aggregated results in December once we’ve done the analysis and written the whitepaper

To inspire you to commit the 10 minutes required to take it I thought I’d share a couple of early insights from the responses we’ve collected so far:
  • Over 2/3 of respondents prioritise their work based on the day’s requirements
  • Most respondents cite that management’s primary focus is on fixing issues with delivery of existing solutions
  • The most common information used to create strategy is recent organisation performance

There’s lots more that will come out once we do the analysis which will provide some great insights into the mindset of Australian businesses - where they’re doing well (or otherwise) as well as where there are gaps (read opportunities for new offerings).

The landing page which has a link to the survey can be found here:

There’s also a small thought piece on linkedin that provides a bit more background on why we’re doing this that has links to some great work done by PWC that can be found here: