Company Share Options

imad

May 18, 2017, 12:14:46 AM5/18/17
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am very new to the concept of company share options as this is the
first time I have been offered anything like that in Australia. A
company I am talking to at the moment has decided to offer me share
options in addition to salary etc. but I am not sure how valuable they
are and how they are treated in Australia from a tax perspective. I
know there was a discussion a few years ago around this issue where
employees have to pay tax on received options without exercising them
which was changed by the government?

I want to know what impact options will have on my tax liabilities in
the longer and shorter time frames and is it something worth
considering. The company is not a startup anymore and quite a few
years old now with millions of dollars in revenue but still not listed
anywhere. They call themselves unlisted public company as they still
raise capital privately.

Thanks and appreciate your response,

Clifford Heath

May 18, 2017, 12:24:41 AM5/18/17
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hello imad (? it would be nice to know your name!),

I won't try to help with advice on options, as others have more
recent knowledge than I, and this stuff changes with each
government.

However, a "public unlisted company" uses "Ltd" as opposed to
"Pty Ltd" on their name. There are reporting differences, but the
most common reason for going to this level is that Pty Ltd
companies have a limited number of shareholders - 25 when I
was familiar with it - and a public company doesn't have this limit.

Clifford Heath.