'Speech everywhere' is coming - Where are all the entrepreneurs and startups?

Peter Nann

Nov 14, 2016, 5:43:31 PM11/14/16
to Silicon Beach Australia

The Amazon Echo has been a surprise hit in the US, with Google Home close behind, Apple firmly rumoured to have something in skunkworks development.
Facebooks slightly different spin is text processing and AI.

Yet no-one is doing anything interesting in Australia with Speech UI/UX (Apart from those IVR phone systems, which is my background I begrudgingly admit)

Speech in contexts such as Home, Car and other 'assistant' paradigms looks pretty likely to be a boom industry over the next decade.

What is usually missing is proper, experienced UX design. Many implementations in Speech today are the HTML equivalent of flashing pink text - Seemed like a good idea to some developer at the time.

Did anyone see 'Honey' on The Block TV show?
 - "Honey, kids, mode sunset" - Or something like that. Good grief. Flashing pink text.
Proper design would see the design support, or better yet encourage: "Honey, set the kids room for sunset".

Anyone out there in Silicon Beach land want to jump on this wave with me and explore opportunities in compelling Speech interfaces?

Dean Collins

Nov 14, 2016, 8:09:40 PM11/14/16
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Peter,

Search out Asterisk community in Australia, I’m overseas now….but there were more than a few doing cutting edge stuff a few years ago.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Inc
de...@cognation.net
+1-212-203-4357

silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Silicon Beach Australia" group.

Peter Nann

Nov 15, 2016, 4:50:21 PM11/15/16
to Silicon Beach Australia

Thanks Dean, but actually I am fairly keen to explore frontiers outside of IVR, which is where Asterisk is.
I've been working with Speech on IVRs for over 20 years (yes, seriously), and I'd say that market has plateaued (at best).

Organisations have too many other choices to spend their dollars on, like web, mobile, online chat, chat AI, etc.
I struggle to see much more spend in Speech on the telephone channel, sadly for my kind.

The potential growth areas are outside IVR. The buzzword growing is Speech (or AI) 'Assistants'. i.e. - "My hands and/or my eyes are busy, but you can still help me if I can speak to you."

There are compelling use cases in such areas that people haven't even realised yet. (Driving is the obvious one...)

My point is - Now is the time to identify the opportunities before others do, get in at the ground level, and ride a wave of growth.

Tough to find anyone in Australia interested!