Thoughts on Recurring Jobs and Daylight Savings Time

Gabe da Silveira

Mar 13, 2015, 5:43:25 PM3/13/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
I just read Mike's recommendation to avoid re-inventing cron for recurring jobs.  I understand the complexity argument here, however the thing that has pushed me towards solutions like resque-scheduler is the need to schedule jobs based on a time zone.  As an example I want to run a job at midnight in the countries I operate in.  It's not an option to set the server time zone since I'm in multiple countries.  That leaves me with the option of either trying to maintain and refresh the crontab on a daily basis, or else finding a time-zone-aware cron replacement.  Is sidekiq-scheduler really worse than these solutions?

Mike Perham

Mar 13, 2015, 6:50:47 PM3/13/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
My opinion is just that and lots of people use various 3rd party plugins which I prefer not to use myself.  There's an exception to every rule and it sounds like you have a reasonable exception.

Mike

PS LOLing at your email address.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Gabe da Silveira <obscure.med...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just read Mike's recommendation to avoid re-inventing cron for recurring jobs.  I understand the complexity argument here, however the thing that has pushed me towards solutions like resque-scheduler is the need to schedule jobs based on a time zone.  As an example I want to run a job at midnight in the countries I operate in.  It's not an option to set the server time zone since I'm in multiple countries.  That leaves me with the option of either trying to maintain and refresh the crontab on a daily basis, or else finding a time-zone-aware cron replacement.  Is sidekiq-scheduler really worse than these solutions?

Mike Perham – Contributed Systems
Smart, effective open source infrastructure for your apps.