Sidekiq looses all jobs and previous stats. Redis not showing a restart

Angus Scown

Nov 13, 2015, 12:35:49 AM11/13/15
to Sidekiq
Sidekiq has been a very reliable part of our system for a few years now.  This week, several times sidekiq has reset all the counters and lost all the scheduled jobs.

Redis has not restarted.

I do not see anything in the production rails log or in the sidekiq log specifically that correlates .

Any ideas on what else I should be looking at to see what's causing the issue.  My first step is to move redis off the same machine as sidekiq in case it's a side effect issue.

thanks.

Angus

Mike Perham

Nov 13, 2015, 11:50:10 AM11/13/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
It's really hard to say and a tough one to debug.  Typically it's some piece of code running "flushall" or similar.

Mike Perham – CEO, Contributed Systems
Smart, effective open source infrastructure for your apps.

Angus Scown

Nov 13, 2015, 3:48:56 PM11/13/15
to Sidekiq
My thoughts initially too but I've had AOF persistence on in redis during one of this instances and no FLUSHALL appear in the aof. I'll keep digging.

Thanks.

Angus Scown

Nov 14, 2015, 3:09:44 AM11/14/15
to Sidekiq
A huge thanks for the prompt on FLUSHALL.  Sparked a deeper analysis  and found an external process had the ability to flushall on the incorrect redis instance.  Wasn't in AOF logs as they were getting re-written periodically (to reduce size) hence hiding the FLUSHALL.