GSoC: Update web UI.

antonda...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2015, 1:53:12 PM3/3/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!
I use sidekiq and sidetiq gems in each project in my work. I’m disappointed with lack of information concerning any workers.
I've been thinking how I can improve this situation for the last two weeks.
I suggest creation of the table for each passed and failed workers which would consist of 4 columns:

+--------------+----------+----------------------+---------+
| worker name | started at | completed (failed) at | run time |
+--------------+----------+----------------------+---------+

This table must display following information about all workers for one day, one week, one month, tree months and six months like as in a graph on a dashboard.
That's why I would like to implement this idea within GSoC.
I'd really appreciate your comments on this. Thanks.

Mike Perham

Mar 3, 2015, 2:19:54 PM3/3/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
Anton, this is definitely something people have asked for in the past.  Let's go through the official channels so you are part of the GSoC.  You'll need to register as a student starting March 16 and apply to work on this project: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015  I would prefer not to start mentoring until after GSoC starts and your application is approved but this is Open Source: you can start building anything you want anytime.

Redis is Sidekiq's data store.  You can use ActiveRecord but that's probably not the best choice.  I would implement it as server-side middleware using Redis counters and recommend you read the Sidekiq and redis-rb source to learn how they both work internally.

Mike

Mike Perham – Contributed Systems
Smart, effective open source infrastructure for your apps.

antonda...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2015, 2:46:26 PM3/3/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
I have already registered and I will send a request March 16 :)
I reviewed sidekiq sources and I have some idea how the web part is working ( at least I know how interconnected Sidekiq::Stats class and sinatra application :) ).
I like idea with using redis and I want create a new column in redis on the similarity of "stat:processed:2015-02-27" which will store all day a workers and their statuses.
But i have one question: where is the best place for this table? I have 2 ideas for this: in the bottom of dashboard (after graphs) or on another page.

Mike Perham

Mar 3, 2015, 2:59:58 PM3/3/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
Take a look at Sidetiq and sidekiq-failures for how to build an add-on web ui. It should be a new tab.

antonda...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2015, 3:11:55 PM3/3/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to ask one more question, I understand you correctly that I need to do this features in my forked sidekiq repository (in special branch) or need to make a plugin for this?

Mike Perham

Mar 3, 2015, 3:29:47 PM3/3/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
I think you can do everything as a separate gem plugin, no need for any sidekiq changes.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 12:11 PM, <antonda...@gmail.com> wrote:
I forgot to ask one more question, I understand you correctly that I need to do this features in my forked sidekiq repository (in special branch) or need to make a plugin for this?

antonda...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2015, 3:36:16 PM3/3/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
okay, thanks for feedback! I'll try to do a prototype soon :)

antonda...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2015, 7:43:37 PM3/3/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
So, I created prototype for sidekiq-history plugin (https://github.com/davydovanton/sidekiq-history). In this moment you can see only '/sidekiq/history' page. and in this page you can see list looking like "<WorerName> : <WorkerStatus>". No ajax, no style :)

Mike Perham

Mar 3, 2015, 7:55:14 PM3/3/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
Nice start!  I also found this: https://github.com/russ/sidekiq-history

What I would suggest you do is create a wiki page or readme which describes the functionality you want to build first.  We developers love to just start writing code but it can really help to stop, take a step back and think about what you need to build.  Maybe draw a mockup on paper of what you expect the UI to look like.  This will determine what data you need to store and the data model needed to power that UI.

Mike

antonda...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2015, 10:19:20 AM3/4/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
Mike hello!
I wrote some thoughts about what to do next and create pages design prototype.
You can see it on this wiki page:

And I'd really appreciate your comments on this. Thanks.

Anton

Mike Perham

Mar 4, 2015, 11:41:57 AM3/4/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
Let's take this conversation to your repo issues.  Open an issue and we'll discuss the functionality there, rather than spam everyone on the mailing list.

Also, I'm going to be out of town for the next few days so I will have limited bandwidth to respond until Monday.