Deprecation Notice: X-Shopify-Shop-Id

David Underwood

Jul 29, 2011, 12:19:48 PM7/29/11
to shopify-ap...@googlegroups.com
The X-Shopify-Shop-Id header will be deprecated on October 15th. We're replacing it with X-Shopify-Shop-Domain, which will contain the shop's domain.

Why are we doing this?

The current header with the shop id is a bit of an anomaly. Everywhere else in the API, we reference shops by their domain: When your app is installed the shop domain is inculded as a parameter on the callback url, not the id. When making API calls you use the domain, not the id.

Because of this, providing the Shop Id in the webhook means that apps have to make an extra API call at some point to find out which shop that id refers to. This seems backwards to us, hence the change.

From now on, a shop's domain is its primary key. It is unique, will never change, and will always work when linking to a shop, even if the merchant has a custom domain set up.

As I said at the top of the post, the id header will be disappearing on October 15th. Until then both the old header and the new one will be available in parallel so you have plenty of time to make the necessary changes. If you have any questions about this change, please start a thread here in the group. Thanks!

-David Underwood
 Developer Advocate, Shopify
 1-888-746-7439 x771