New shiny user questions

Sebastien Bihorel

May 3, 2016, 4:37:52 PM5/3/16
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Hi,

I am considering building Shiny apps for various analysis purposes and would appreciate your feedback on the following questions. I would like to know what is possible in Shiny before I start investing time in learning how to use it. I anticipate to create one or more apps which will interface with other (non-Shiny) applications and that will be run on a local server.
In this context, I have a few questions:
1- Can a Shiny app be inserted as a component of a "standard" web page?
2- Should all elements of a Shiny apps be rendered through functions of the shiny package (or related packages) or can one include content created through eg standard html or java?
3- Can the url of the Shiny app include arguments that dynamically provided inputs to one or more app elements? For example, in the following code example, can "Some Text" be extracted from the url?

library(shiny)
server
<- function(input, output, session) { }
ui
<- basicPage("Some text")
shinyApp
(ui = ui, server = server)

Thank you for your time

Sebastien

Sebastien Bihorel

May 4, 2016, 9:27:22 AM5/4/16
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Hi,

No need to address question 1 - this has nothing to do with Shiny.

Sebastien Bihorel

May 4, 2016, 12:59:21 PM5/4/16
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
I guess the answer to the last one is in: http://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/client-data.html

Joe Cheng

May 4, 2016, 2:28:04 PM5/4/16
to Sebastien Bihorel, Shiny - Web Framework for R
For #2, you have several options.

A. Make a ui.R (or ui value in app.R) as normal but include some custom HTML: either use includeHTML, or tag objects directly (see http://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/html-tags.html).
B. Use the new HTML Templates feature to build large swaths of your app using custom HTML, but still use R to create input/output objects and for other things R might be better at. http://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/templates.html
C. Use raw HTML for your UI. Mentioned for completeness, as I don't recommend this anymore as it only has drawbacks when compared to HTML Templates. http://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/html-ui.html

Sebastien Bihorel

May 5, 2016, 6:12:35 PM5/5/16
to Shiny - Web Framework for R, sb.p...@gmail.com