How to generate a random phone number using Shiny?

Jen

Oct 19, 2016, 3:04:51 PM10/19/16
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Hi, I am very new to Shiny and so far all I've learned to do is upload a CSV file.  But that's not why I'm here.

I'll be honest and say that when I am in the early phases of learning a new programming language or a package like R I get overwhelmed by the documentation so I get my feet wet by running examples and taking them apart.  Once I feel safe with that I don't get overwhelmed by the documentation.  <- this is a consequence of a mild dyslexia.  I know this is a very compartmentalized way to learn and doesn't even try to give a fundamental understanding of how it works.  I'll start getting the fundamentals by applying the pieces I learn to independent practice and eventually reading documentation.

So, I've learned to ask coding communities for help.  That's why I am here today.

I am hoping someone can provide me with a relatively simple example of generating a random phone number, where inputs are country code, area code, central office code, and the number of integers to randomize.  For example, country code for US is +1, the area code for Massachusetts is 351, the central office code for town of Rockport is 205, and then there are 4 numbers to randomize.

The result would be:

+1 - 351 - 205 - xxxx

I am imagining the app looks something like this:

Country Code:   +1

Area Code:  351

Central Office Code:   205

How many numbers to randomize?    4

[Run_Button]

Random Phone Number

I know it's a big thing to ask if someone could code this for me, but I really do learn well this way.  This is how I learned R to begin with, which I use extensively now.  So, I would be grateful if I could learn from you.  I can tell you that once I take apart the pieces of the code I am asking for I will use pieces of them in other apps I try to write for practice.

Thanks for reading,

Jen