Error when trying to load shiny app: "This site can't be reached" (Shiny Server 1.4.4)

Isaac Petersen

Sep 10, 2016, 1:23:02 AM9/10/16
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
I just tried to install Shiny apps on our DigitalOcean server. After installing R, the Shiny package, and Shiny Server v1.4.4.801 according to these instructions (https://www.rstudio.com/products/shiny/download-server/). I get the following error when trying to navigate to my shiny app in a browser (http://fantasyfootballanalytics.net:3838/Stocks/): "This site can’t be reached".  I verified that I can access the main domain, so I'm not sure what's going on.  I tried stopping and restarting the shiny server, but that didn't solve it.  My app is located in: /srv/shiny-server/Stocks/app.R

Here's my shiny-server.conf file:

# shiny-server.conf
env LANG='en_US.UTF-8'

description "Shiny application server"

start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [016]

limit nofile 1000000 1000000

post-stop exec sleep 3

post-start script
    i=0
    while [ $i -lt 5 ]
    do
        pgrep "shiny-server" || exit 1
        sleep 1
        i=$((i+1))
    done
end script

exec shiny-server --pidfile=/var/run/shiny-server.pid >> /var/log/shiny-server.log 2>&1

respawn limit 3 30

respawn

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Isaac Petersen

Sep 23, 2016, 11:17:01 PM9/23/16
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Is anybody able to help with this?  Would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!