Failed to restart shiny-server.service: Unit not found

Aniketh Bothra

Aug 23, 2017, 11:21:16 AM8/23/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R

I installed R and shiny server in REHL 7. R installation was successful but when I tried to installed shiny server this is the message I got and it says shiny server installed.

 /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.kIBODd: line 62: initctl: command not found
 /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.kIBODd: line 65: initctl: command not found
 Verifying  : shiny-server-1.5.1.834-1.x86_64
 1/1

 Installed:
 shiny-server.x86_64 0:1.5.1.834-1

however when I try to systemctl start/restart shiny-server it says:
Failed to restart shiny-server.service: Unit not found.

I am not really sure what is going on. The .service file is missing in the system/systemd path. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Joe Cheng

Aug 23, 2017, 4:58:18 PM8/23/17
to Aniketh Bothra, Shiny - Web Framework for R
You don't see the file:

/etc/systemd/system/shiny-server.service

?

Aniketh Bothra

Aug 24, 2017, 4:23:36 PM8/24/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R, anic...@gmail.com
Yes. Shiny-server.service file was missing in these two locations

/etc/systemd/system/shiny-server.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/shiny-server.service

I then copied the file from opt/shiny-server/config/systemd/shiny-server.service to the locations mentioned above. It started working.