Shiny to do standalone GUI ?

Uday Guntupalli

May 24, 2017, 1:00:43 PM5/24/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
All,
    Trying to figure out what is the best way to throw up a GUI in R ?
    I come from a Matlab and JMP environment and am new to R. I see that people have recommended using different packages like gwidgets and the graphics dont look that great
    Shiny on the other hand looks amazing but seems to be used mostly for web applications hosted on server level. Can someone kindly explain if there is a way to design a GUI for stand alone analysis in R using Shiny ?

Best
Uday

Joe Cheng

May 24, 2017, 1:03:30 PM5/24/17
to Uday Guntupalli, Shiny - Web Framework for R
This might be what you're looking for: https://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/gadgets.html

Uday Guntupalli

May 24, 2017, 1:14:21 PM5/24/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R, ug...@mst.edu
Joe ,
      This looks great. Exactly what I was looking for.
      Probably a silly question :

https://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/gadget-ui.html

- When I try to run this example , all I get is HTML code as output, can you point me to an article or explain how to invoke or use it invoke the output during the execution of the script ?

ui <- miniPage(

gadgetTitleBar("Shiny gadget example"),

miniTabstripPanel(

miniTabPanel("Parameters", icon = icon("sliders"),

miniContentPanel(

sliderInput("year", "Year", 1978, 2010, c(2000, 2010), sep = "")

)

),

miniTabPanel("Visualize", icon = icon("area-chart"),

miniContentPanel(

plotOutput("cars", height = "100%")

)

),

miniTabPanel("Map", icon = icon("map-o"),

miniContentPanel(padding = 0,

leafletOutput("map", height = "100%")

),

miniButtonBlock(

actionButton("resetMap", "Reset")

)

),

miniTabPanel("Data", icon = icon("table"),

miniContentPanel(

DT::dataTableOutput("table")

)

)

)
)

Joe Cheng

May 24, 2017, 1:57:04 PM5/24/17
to Uday Guntupalli, Shiny - Web Framework for R
Take a look at the original article I sent you. The one you linked shows some particulars of how to design your UI for gadget usage, but the one I sent you talks about how ui, server, and runGadget fit together.