Shiny (R) just stops writing file for seemingly no reason

ma...@roundtableanalytics.com

Apr 25, 2017, 10:03:13 AM4/25/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
We have a shiny app that allows a lot of user input.  When the user click "Submit" this runs an R script that consolidates all of the user input and writes the user input to files using sink and cat.  Usually this works fine.  Occasionally, though, the file is only partially written.  It doesn't get finished - but it does exist and it does have contents.  I'm assuming that there were no errors because the shiny log is not retained when this happens.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

Mary

Joe Cheng

Apr 25, 2017, 6:31:20 PM4/25/17
to ma...@roundtableanalytics.com, Shiny - Web Framework for R
Is it possible the user is closing the browser tab/window before the writing is done? Shiny Server will wait between 5 and 20 seconds after the last session leaves to terminate the app, regardless of whether there's still work being done, I believe. You can extend this using the app_idle_timeout configuration directive. http://docs.rstudio.com/shiny-server/#application-timeouts