publishing PHP pages on Shiny server?

jean...@noaa.gov

Feb 16, 2018, 3:35:53 PM2/16/18
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Is it possible to publish PHP pages using Shiny server (open source version)? We are using Shiny server to set up a an e-journal of visualizations (http://psesv.psmfc.org/), and have web pages for the journal and for Shiny dashboards, all residing on the Shiny server. The journal pages are all HTML pages, but we'd like to use server side scripting (PHP and server side includes) with a mySQL database to generate some of the content on the journal pages. Is this possible, or would it be more feasible to host the journal pages on a separate (non-Shiny) server that has server-side scripting enabled?

Thanks!

Erik Westlund

Feb 16, 2018, 3:47:55 PM2/16/18
to jean...@noaa.gov, Shiny - Web Framework for R
Need to know a little more.

Do you have access to the server? Can you reconfigure and/or install nginx/Apache? Can you add/edit MySQL user access rules if needed?

Through use of proxy commands and/or iframes/cross-site access rules it can work.

Erik

Feb 16, 2018, 4:03:08 PM2/16/18
to Erik Westlund, Shiny - Web Framework for R
Yes, we have access to the shiny server (currently installed on LInux OS) and have technical resources available to install nginx/Apache and configure mySQL user permissions.

Any issues with using iframes and bootstrap together?

Would it be possible with proxying to have journal pages and shiny visualizations residing on a separate servers, but both accessed from the same root URL? E.g., psesv.psfmc.org/index.php is the journal home page URL, and psesv.psmfc.org/PSESV1 is the page for a shiny visualization.

Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 2:35:53 PM
To: Shiny - Web Framework for R
Is it possible to publish PHP pages using Shiny server (open source version)? We are using Shiny server to set up a an e-journal of visualizations (http://psesv.psmfc.org/), and have web pages for the journal and for Shiny dashboards, all residing on the Shiny server. The journal pages are all HTML pages, but we'd like to use server side scripting (PHP and server side includes) with a mySQL database to generate some of the content on the journal pages. Is this possible, or would it be more feasible to host the journal pages on a separate (non-Shiny) server that has server-side scripting enabled?

Thanks!

Jean Lee
PSMFC | Alaska Fisheries Information Network
NOAA Fisheries | AFSC | Economics and Social Science Research Program
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Bldg. 4
Seattle, WA 98115

Erik Westlund

Feb 16, 2018, 4:51:41 PM2/16/18
to Jean Lee - NOAA Affiliate, Shiny - Web Framework for R
Yes. You can point different requests to different servers. Here you’d put a rewrite rule to /PSESV1 that proxies requests to shiny. This is ideal because you then don’t need to worry about cross-site weirdness with requests between them.

Erik

to Erik Westlund, Shiny - Web Framework for R
OK, we'll give it a try! Thanks for all the help