Log files from app keeps disappearing

Joris Meys

Aug 21, 2017, 6:37:58 AM8/21/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Hi all,

I have a couple of apps hosted on Shiny Server (Shiny Server v1.5.3.838, Node.js v6.10.0). To be exact, they're 3 apps in a separate folder. In order to get this working, I added the following lines inside server{ } in the shiny-server.conf file:

  location /dPCR {
    site_dir /srv/shiny-server/dPCRApps;
    log_dir /var/log/shiny-server/dPCR;
    directory_index on;
  }

Now two of my apps are crashing. The first app gives a log file in the directory /var/log/shiny-server/dPCR. (It was a missing package that needed installation). The second app however, does not give me a readable file. If I check with ls at the moment the app crashes, I see the log file for that second app in the list. A second later that file stopped existing, but the log file of the other app is still there.

The app for which the log file disappears, is called dPCR as well (the same as the location). Shouldn't matter, but I give it anyway.

I have literally no clue what's going on there. Anybody an idea?

Cheers
Joris

Joris Meys

Aug 21, 2017, 6:53:49 AM8/21/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Edit: After removing everything from the log directory, the problem happens for all log files now. The app crashes with the note "ERROR: An error has occurred. Check your logs or contact the app author for clarification.". But the log files are automatically deleted as if the R process exited normally.

I could see the apps using preserve_logs true; in the config file, and found out the app crashed due to a package that wasn't installed. I'd expect that this would preserve the log, but it doesn't. It treats the log as if the application exited normally.

Cheers
Joris

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Ghent University
Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
Department of Mathematical Modelling, Statistics and Bio-Informatics

tel :  +32 (0)9 264 61 79
Joris...@Ugent.be

Ger Inberg

Aug 26, 2017, 4:55:42 PM8/26/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Hi Joris,

did you put the preserve_logs line on top of the configuration file?
I assume you restarted the server after adapting the configuration?

best,Ger