Offline Shiny Server installation

Gonzalo Donoso

May 24, 2017, 7:07:39 AM5/24/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Hi all,

I need to install a Shiny Server in an offline machine. I tried to follow oder posts and create an npm installer but it tries to fetch some data and the installation fails.

I can't either install directly using yum and the packaged downloaded from: https://www.rstudio.com/products/shiny/download-server/ because I'm not superuser.

Moreover I would like to install it in particular folder rather than in the typical one (/usr/bin..)

Is there any other way to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Joe Cheng

Jun 1, 2017, 7:40:22 PM6/1/17
to Gonzalo Donoso, Shiny - Web Framework for R
I think you can probably install it into a VM that matches your distro version, using the packaged installer, and copy out the contents of /opt/shiny-server and put that on your offline machine somehow. You will need to call bin/shiny-server with a single argument that is the path to your shiny-server.conf file, since that will not be in its usual location of /etc/shiny-server/shiny-server.conf. You will also probably get errors about certain directories not being writable, you'll have to use directives in shiny-server.conf to override these paths with ones you have write access to.